2 Questions

Kate M.
on 4/29/15 12:52 am - toronto, Canada

1. How long were you in the hospital after your surgery? I'm assuming I will be sent home on the morning of the 3rd day but wanted to see what your experiences were. Going through TWH.

2. When could you start working out after surgery and what kind of exercise? I know walking in small amounts, etc. But just wondering if I should put my YMCA membership on hold and if so for how long.

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

Kate M.
on 4/29/15 12:56 am - toronto, Canada

Edited to add: I will of course be following my surgeon's instructions after surgery re: exercise, I have just had wildly differing estimates from staff so far with no solid answer so just wanting to see what other ppl's averages were.

Dreamy74
on 4/29/15 2:10 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Kate, my Centre is TWH and I had surgery at Toronto East General Hospital with Dr. Mary Ann Aarts on February 4th of this year.  I had a cardiac related complication so Dr. Aarts had only been able to do the bowel part before the surgery was halted.  I stayed in the hospital for the 4th, 5th and on the 6th (Friday) was cleared to continue surgery and did so again with Dr. Aarts in the very late afternoon.  I was able to go home Sunday afternoon (the 8th) thankfully - around 2 p.m. 

The sheet I got from TWH at my one month follow up encourages light walking for 1 to 3 months and then once you hit the 3 month mark you can do more like aquafit, etc.  If I were you I would put your gym membership on hold for 2 to 3 months to give yourself time to heal.  That's the great thing about the Y - you can put your membership on hold.  I love them and I am joining the Y this August with my soon to be hubby.

Do you have your surgery date yet?

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Kate M.
on 4/29/15 2:45 am - toronto, Canada

Thanks for the info. I do have my date - it's Friday. 

Dreamy74
on 4/29/15 4:38 am
RNY on 02/04/15

WOO HOO!  This is great news.  All the best to you for a speedy recover.  And yes, walk and sip (and fart) and repeat hehehe.  You will get great care at TWH!

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

annieliv
on 4/29/15 3:45 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Kate,

I can answer one of your questions. I had surgery Tues Apr 21st at TWH and was discharged just before noon on Thurs Apr 23rd. 

The experience was made easier by the great nursing staff at TWH as well as great advice received from this forum. 

Walk & sip. 

Good luck to you!

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Kath L
on 4/29/15 6:59 am

I had also been wondering how long people generally stay in the hospital.  My daughters of course are worried about this surgery and I thought if I could tell them how long I'd be in the hospital, they would be less worried.

Thanks for posting.

Asiina
on 4/29/15 11:23 am

I was up in Ottawa, rather than Toronto but both me and my roommate stayed for 2 nights and left before noon on the third day.

Wendy-Louise
on 5/1/15 9:09 pm - Canada

I was through Humber and was prepared for the 2 days but as soon as they brought to a room straight after recover my husband told me I was going home the next day. I was a little shocked because I hadn't so much as sat up let alone got up to the bathroom. Turned out I was just fine to go I just needed to wrap my head around it. I think 2 days is usually the standard though. Good Luck on your journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics