OA and WLS ?

DebColCam
on 5/23/15 11:55 am - Canada
Hi all I am pre-op and working hard to get my body and mind ready for surgery. I am wondering if anyone has had experience attending OA before and after surgery. I went to a few meetings a number of years ago and just this week reached out to someone I knew from back then. The meeting here in my small town has reduced to 1 meeting a week with 3 members. I have been reading a lot of literature on line. and I know that I need to address my compulsive behaviors with food now and after surgery. I am going to attend the meeting on Monday with an open mind. I think the mental and emotional part of this journey is where I need to do the most work. The wait has been long...but worth it. It has made me look hard at my life and my eating. Cant wait for my trio appointments on June 8th at HRRH If anyone has any experience to share with me about OA and WLS I would be grateful...I know that WLS will be considered an outside issue, but I see it as a program that might work well with all my other tools. thanks Deb

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

Patm
on 5/23/15 1:01 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

There is a poster on the main board that is 8 years out and attends OA. She has found it really helpful. I say use whatever help. Good luck

Seyenna
on 5/23/15 1:01 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Many apologies... what is OA?

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

DebColCam
on 5/23/15 3:19 pm - Canada
HI there...OA is also known as Overeaters Anonymous it is a 12 step program based on the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. From what I can remember it is a for people who have the desire to stop compulsive over eating and its behavior. Basically support group not at all focused on food, but more on the behaviours emotions and habits.
I am going to try going again because I can't see the surgery taking away the desire for my trigger foods...or fixing my emotional attachment to food. Its just another tool that I am finding myself open minded enough to try using again. you can always visit their website OA.org lots of really good reading for people who live with food addiction

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/24/15 6:06 pm - Windsor, Canada

I think you are brilliant to be thinking of this prior to surgery.  I see so many who think that the mental piece is just another hurdle to go through and they don't give their eating issues much weight.  

Most of us having eating issues.  The surgery keeps us in line for only so long and then it is back to the issues we had prior to surgery.  The surgery fixes our bodies not our brains.  

The longer you are out, the more this will come into light and the struggles with food return.  Habits are hard to break. Another tool only makes you stronger!

good luck!

dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 5/25/15 3:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

I don't have personal experience with it but I do know quite a few people who belong to OA and find it really helpful. I also commend you for your forward-thinking and self-awareness. The surgery is the easiest part (you do it in your sleep), the losing is the next easiest with a few challenges along the way, but the real hard part is continuing on in maintenance when it's really up to your head/thinking/behaviours that leads to continued success. As Pat said, whatever works for you. I think any form of support is great, whether it be in-person groups, one-on-one counselling, therapy, or even remaining connected here at OH. You'll have to let us know if you decide to join and what you think of it as I think it could be useful for many!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

DebColCam
on 5/25/15 11:29 am - Canada
Thank you Dawn and Karen for your encouraging words and support! I food the courage to get to the meeting this afternoon and I am so glad that I did. This is work...change is hard...but it's going to be worth it. Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics