What should I be doing while waiting for orientation?

SueT62
on 5/29/15 8:52 pm - Canada

I don't want to gain anymore weight while waiting, but I also don't want to lose any in case they feel like I can do this all by myself even though I have been trying to do this by myself all my life.  I am a worry wart and nervous because I want this to happen so bad lol but am scared I will screw something up!. I just want to be prepared for that first meeting.  Please help...I need someone to talk me  down

Roma
on 5/29/15 9:52 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Breathe.

Do lots of reading, think about your emotional triggers for eating. Don't worry.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

SmallPlates
on 5/30/15 4:44 am - Canada

I have my orientation on June 4, and on Monday I am going to take the lists they sent me to my NP to get started on the bloodwork.  Good luck with the journey!

SmallPlates HW: 281 ~ Referral May 14 W 268 BMI 43 Bloodwork June 3  Orientation GGH June 4.  NP June 15 W 264 RD/SW July 7  Sleep Study KW Aug 4 Trio Aug 17  Cracving Change Sept Sept 10, 17. 24  Trio Oct 19 

CazR
on 6/4/15 2:00 pm - Canada

Hey...How was it hun??

crqvingchange
on 5/30/15 5:25 am

All Centres are different in what they expect. I can say that Guelph is very strict about you not gaining weight once you are in the program. They feel if you are gaining weight you are not taking it seriously.  They want to see at least some weight loss, and definitely they want to see weight loss during OPTI phase.  Try to follow their plan, like the others said also work on the emotional side of your eating.  Journal your thoughts about what triggers your eating, are you really hungry or is it an emotional response.  Take your food journal and your emotional journals in with you when you get your first set of meetings.  This will help them to identify areas that need work.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

W8_No_More
on 5/30/15 8:43 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Losing weight is a good thing so don't hold back if you're able to do it. Is your BMI borderline for acceptance to qualify for surgery?

One thing that might be available in your area is a Craving Change workshop (offered through the YMCA around here). The program helps you assess why you eat (triggers) and how to avoid pitfalls. I thought it was quite good but there is often a wait to get into a class if you need to go in the evening.

Try not to worry! The Centers are here to help us and thank heavens for that! 

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

SueT62
on 5/30/15 8:48 pm - Canada

my BMI is 60

W8_No_More
on 5/31/15 8:45 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Okay...so missing the cutoff for eligibility would not be a problem if you were able to take some weight off while you wait. I personally didn't have a lot of success before surgery but others really have. I went to Guelph and they were satisfied with lifestyle changes I had made but I don't think any clinic would want to see someone gaining.

Do the best you can to make changes you will need to live by after surgery. It makes things a bit easier to adjust to and if it works well you might lose some weight in the process.  

Good luck! Kim

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

Most Active
Recent Topics