Dumping on cherries?

betony63
on 5/31/15 6:54 pm

I've tried really hard to stay away from sugar but tonight I guess I wasn't thinking and had half a cup of fresh cherries for a snack. Oh. My. God. Almost immediately, I got the worst nausea and cramps. It was horrible for about 45 minutes but it's better now. 

I don't know if that was dumping or not, but whatever it was I do NOT want to do it again! 

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

W8_No_More
on 5/31/15 7:49 pm - Kitchener, Canada

That's what it sounds like. You only have to experience it once to never want to do it again! When it happened to me it was from a scrambled egg that I had had many times before so the only thing I could think of was that I ate it too fast...though I didn't think I had. When I thought it was over, I had another bout about 1/2 hour later. Worst feeling in the world!

Don't wander too far from the bathroom until you know you're safe! Too bad....I guess I'll just swear off cherries (which I love). Take care...Kim

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

betony63
on 6/1/15 9:07 am

Thanks Kim! Yep, it is NOT a nice feeling. I can't do scrambled eggs at all - they feel like lead in my stomach :(

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

HFA70
on 6/3/15 6:00 am

It sounds like you ate the eggs too fast, too much or they were too dry.  You only dump on sugar.  Fruit is a tough one.  I can eat almost all fruits, except oranges and I have to watch my sugar intake very carefully!

Try eggs again, but perhaps cook them with some water or milk and don't overcook them so they're dry.

Take care!

Karen M.
on 6/1/15 2:16 am - Mississauga, Canada

It could definitely have been dumping from the natural sugar in the cherries - I know several people who have dumped from fruit. Terrible feeling! Hope you are feeling better.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

betony63
on 6/1/15 9:08 am

Thanks Karen - yep, I'm feeling OK now. Just don't want to do it again any time soon :)

Karen M.
on 6/2/15 2:57 am, edited 6/2/15 2:59 am - Mississauga, Canada

I hear you on that.  I had my first dumping episode (I've only ever had 2 in 9 years, thankfully) when I drank some very innocent looking/sounding vegetable juice when visiting my parents many years ago. It was some store-off-brand and I had a few sips and then it hit me and OMG, if it didn't kill me I wanted to die anyway. lol  Checked the label on that stoopid veggie juice and it had 19 grams of sugar. 19!!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

betony63
on 6/2/15 6:47 pm

LOL, 19 grams? That wasn't juice, it was syrup!

KristieA
on 6/1/15 4:39 am - Orillia, Canada

I'm over 4 years post op.  I've eaten cherries the last few years and no problem.   All of a sudden this year.....no go.   Just shows that even this far out things can change.   I didn't dump for the first 2 years on anything and now find more and more. 

You  are right, lesson learned.   One day the may be ok again but probably not worth it. 

Glad it passed. 

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

betony63
on 6/1/15 9:09 am

Thanks Kristie - weird how things are OK one year but not the next!

Most Active
Recent Topics