Personal Space Issues

redviking
on 6/1/15 7:45 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Maybe I'm crazy, but do you guys find people invade your personal space "bubble" more since you've lost weight?  Here is my theory, my body used to take up more space so people stood farther away from my "centre", but now that I'm smaller, people seem to be closer to me. They are just closer to my centre....I know it sounds nuts, but I feel so invaded!!

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Julz1974
on 6/1/15 8:38 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

OMG you are not nuts at all!  I feel the same way!  I was just to afraid to ask, lol. So good on you for stating it!  I feel so invaded now it is odd.  I feel like I find myself taking a step back just to have the extra breath space when they get to close.   You are probably right that it is cause I was bigger and distance was a necessity back then.   

W8_No_More
on 6/1/15 8:41 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Now that you mention it I think you may have something there. I'm quite involved in my church so a lot of people 'know' me tho I have never met them. Ladies I don't even know and have never spoken to came up to me this  weekend and were hugging and patting me and sharing their own weight struggles. Maybe our former size made us feel less approachable before? 😊 

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

Onward and
Downward

on 6/2/15 4:36 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I sometimes think that it just feels like people are invading my personal space, because even if they stood the same distance away from the most protruding part of my body when I was 336 lbs, they were probably a good half to full foot further away from my head than they are if they stand the same distance away from it now. :)

I've also wondered if it might be an unconscious thing, that people might feel like they can come closer to someone who is thin than they can to someone who is big? Perhaps an unconscious recoiling thing, that they don't want to stand too close to us when we're big? I don't know.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Karen M.
on 6/2/15 4:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

Oh, absolutely and I think your theory is a major part of it in that people couldn't get as close to you (physically) due to size and now that you're smaller and "take up less space", they're in yours. I went through a lot of body-space issues when I lost the weight - people standing closer, sitting closer, talking closer, etc. It was a little unnerving at times. I also theorize that people generally find me more "approachable" as a small person (not that I wasn't before, people's perceptions/biases of overweight people come into play here).  I also had spacial difficulties with not comprehending that I didn't have to turn sideways to get in between aisles and tables, etc.  I think we eventually get used to it all but it does take some time.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 6/2/15 6:04 am - Toronto, Canada

I still turn sideways in turnstiles LOL. I feel weird hitting them head on, like I won't fit. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 6/2/15 6:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

Kelly, unbelievably, I still do the same thing in turnstiles. It doesn't help that I'm generally a clutz and banging into things at random which seems to have me constantly on "high alert avoidance". LOL

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 6/2/15 6:47 am - Toronto, Canada

Me too! I ran into a tree branch on the weekend....i'm so short that tree branches are usually way above me. Didn't even see it because I was gabbing away to my running partner, who, at the time, was commenting on my strength and agility.....it was a good laugh.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

roxytrim
on 6/2/15 7:20 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Oh yea I hear ya all.  I find moving behind someone's chair is always a comedy.  They push in, I push out - could fit a mack truck between us.

I have found some people I knew before want to become "closer" friends, strongly sensing it's because I don't have the fat disease anymore. (I just don't have the stomach for that one - pun intended)

Good obersavation on the close talkers shall we call that a NSV???

Onward and
Downward

on 6/2/15 9:11 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I think the really close talkers are more of a NSA - Non-scale annoyance. ;)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics