Questions for the Pro's... How Long After Surgery??

Bob H.
on 8/11/15 6:04 am - Nepean, Canada
RNY on 08/12/15

Hi There;

Pretty basic questions but I thought others may find the answers use full as well as I!

1) I walk 8 KM's a day - how long after surgery until I'll be able to get back into that pattern?

2) My surgery is tomorrow, I'll be kicked out of the hospital Thursday sometime if there are no complications. I'd like to go to the cottage to recuperate on Friday, it's about 90 minutes from the hospital doing the surgery. My wife is worried it's too soon - what do you think?

There are other questions, but I thought maybe this would encourage others who are afraid to ask their Dr or post in the group to add on to this thread!

Enjoy the Day - Even a raining day is better than no day at all!

Bob

Visualize the person you want to be every chance you get - and you can become it!

------------

Century Club Member at 6 months, working on my next 50 years!

northernga1
on 8/11/15 6:38 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

far from a pro only 8 weeks out of surgery myself.

The walking you will eventually after a few weeks be able to get back to walking that much.  It took me about 3 weeks before i was able to walk any further then 2 to 3 km's.  Once the pain is gone i had no issues. Good luck tomorrow with your surgery. I would have to agree with your wife about going to the cottage that soon.  Maybe in a few days once you're feeling much better but you do want to be close to your hospital in case of complications.  

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Bob H.
on 8/11/15 7:49 am - Nepean, Canada
RNY on 08/12/15

Awesome,  thank you!!

Visualize the person you want to be every chance you get - and you can become it!

------------

crqvingchange
on 8/11/15 6:46 am

I agree with your wife. Stay close to your Centre's hospital just in case.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Bob H.
on 8/11/15 7:50 am - Nepean, Canada
RNY on 08/12/15

OK,  wife wins (sigh)   thanks!

------------

Helna_Handbasket
on 8/11/15 7:56 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Hey Bob!  Excited for this next chapter for you.  I'm a week out from surgery so I can't provide full feed-back on everything.  I am a walker too - and I'm only doing laps around the yard for now, and a bit up the street, but not too far.  Part of that is because I don't want to wear a bra yet - but you don't need to sweat that.  I WANT to go further but my body is like - uh no, you need to rest.  Listen to your body.  I did LOTS of laps at the hospital though.  Kept my birkinstocks by my bed and was up shuffling regularly.

Ok I'm rebel.  Some may poo-poo this but whatever, it worked for me.  I live 2 hours north of TWH.  I came right home.  The drive was fine - I had my own fluffy pillow between me and the seatbelt and the threat of 1000 papercuts given to my dad if he hit every damn pothole.  I napped even.  Being able to be home, in my own bed, my own bathroom, my own couch and my own cat was THE BEST.  I had a friend stay with me.  The plan was to drive me back to TO should there be a problem.  Worst case scenario - take me to my local hospital and they can take me by ambulance or chopper.  No problems I am happy to say.  That said - when I asked the very same question myself a few weeks ago - everyone was great and did suggest staying near the hospital.  I don't think any of them said they had to return to the hospital during this "what if" stage.  I felt confident, as did the team at TWH that I was doing great and ready to go home.    Long story long right?  Sorry.  At the end of the day - keep your wife happy! lol.  ;)  just sayin. 

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Bob H.
on 8/11/15 3:57 pm - Nepean, Canada
RNY on 08/12/15

Thank you - great to hear how well things are going for you!!!!

------------

Catw
on 8/11/15 8:55 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Bob,

Not sure the timeline to get back to 8km per day, but your body will tell you how soon you can go.  But to start walking is usually same day as surgery.

I'm not sure what your cottage is like, or what the roads are like to get there, and what resources are around there.  Even if you have no complications, I'd side with your wife, at least for a few days.  There can be some discomfort in the first few days, not really complications, but discomfort.  Such as stuck gas, constipation, etc.  Sometimes you just need a bit of extra help in these areas and don't know what you need until you experience it.

As for the rain, all plants need it, and I never minded the rain.

Cathy

Bob H.
on 8/11/15 8:59 am, edited 8/11/15 11:02 am - Nepean, Canada
RNY on 08/12/15

Thank you Cathy!!  I think home it is...  At least for a few days.

I just noticed you are from Arnprior - the cottage is at White Lake - we're almost seasonal neighbors ;0

Bob

------------

Karen M.
on 8/11/15 12:16 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Going to the cottage sort of depends on what you mean by "cottage". Like, how "roughing it" is it? For me, there's no way in HELL I would have gone to the cottage straight after surgery, for several reasons - it's on an island and a bouncy 30 minute boat ride doesn't sound very friggin' awesome, it has outdoor plumbing, taking a "bath" means going swimming in the lake with a bar of soap, etc. etc. etc. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't have wanted to be so far away from appropriate medical care.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics