What to expect

Akatiti
on 8/12/15 8:10 am - Canada

Hi everyone

I'm new here and have enjoyed reading the different experiences. 

After a lot of thinking,research, talking with my family Dr, and family, I've decided to start the process for WLS.

I realize it's a long process, but what should I expect. My Dr has sent the referral. I'd really appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.

I'm in Brampton. Do they send you according to where you live?

Thanks in advance

Dianne😀

Catw
on 8/12/15 11:00 am - Arnprior, Canada

Welcome to the board!

The Centre that you will go to is determined by your postal code.

Call the Bariatric Registry in a couple weeks, to be sure that they received your referral, and at that time they can tell you which hospital you will go to.  From there, you wait to get an Orientation Package.  You will have several visits and test to do along the way.  Your journey will take any where from a year to 18 months depending on Centre.  Take the time to research and prepare yourself for your new life.

Congratulations, you've taken the first steps.

Cathy

Akatiti
on 8/12/15 12:03 pm - Canada

Thank you so much Cathy for getting back to me. The information you gave me is very helpful. 

My Dr gave me time to think about having the surgery. When my blood work came back she wasn't happy and to be honest it really scared me. So when I told her that I had decided to to the surgery, she was so happy and said she send in the referral right away.

Thanks again

if there's any other information you can think of,please let me know.

Dianne😀

tatirod
on 8/12/15 2:16 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Dianne,

I think I've had just about every "what to expect" question there is. So, if you look back to some of my posts, you might find some useful info (in the replies of course, I offered no insight).

The Ontario Bariatric Network website has recently been revamped and it's easier to find information now. Here is the general FAQ about the surgical program. It answered a lot of my initial questions.

After you confirm that you've made it in the registry, you will have an orientation session. Then you will meet with a social worker, psychologist, dietician, nurse practitioner, and take a nutrition course (not necessarily in that order). You may need to take some additional tests (blood work for sure, possibly a sleep study if you've never had one or heart tests if there is reason to do them). You will finally meet with a surgeon (and since I haven't done this yet, I think you also meet with a nurse [maybe "your" nurse practitioner] and pharmacist). There is also a pre-op visit about a week before surgery where I hear they do additional blood work.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Akatiti
on 8/12/15 2:36 pm - Canada

Thank you tatirod for your help😀

congratulations you're almost there.

i'm going to read the FAQs and look at the website.

Dianne😀

tatirod
on 8/12/15 8:04 pm - Toronto, Canada

This link is specific to my centre (TWH), but it gives you a general idea of what happens at each appointment. That's something I wondered about, mainly because I have anxiety and freeze when asked questions about myself. I can give a presentation to 200 people, but explain how I feel to one person and I might as well be mute.

This does seem to be a pretty common question, so thought I'd share. 

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Akatiti
on 8/13/15 5:05 am - Canada

Thanks tatirod,

I'm a planner and like to know how/when things are going to happen, so this is helpful.

I don't mind going down to TWH but would prefer somewhere closer. Especially getting to appointment,the traffic is a challenge,makes me a little anxious.

Like you, I don't like talking about myself but don't like group presentations either😒

tatirod
on 8/13/15 5:20 am - Toronto, Canada

You're welcome! Yeah, I have no idea what centre they'll put you in. But, just wanted to share "my experience" since you don't have a centre yet. Things do vary by centre... and obviously they will vary from person to person because we're all a bit different. So, I had to add those disclaimers. It just helped me, personally, to have an idea of what was coming so I didn't worry so much.

Cheers,

Tonya

Akatiti
on 8/13/15 5:28 am - Canada

You've been so kind and helpful. At least this info gives me an idea.

When I get assigned to a centre I'll definitely let you know.

are you all done, just waiting for a date?

Most Active
Recent Topics