I hope I don't drive you all nuts with these questions:)

peacebypiece
on 8/18/15 2:15 pm

Hi all; I know that one of the things I need to do in my new relationship with food/preparing for surgery is to find new hobbies/new things to do rather than eat to fill needs other than nutrition. Did others find this a good strategy? Wondering what activities others started? I have piano lessons lined up (always wanted to learn since I was a kid) and have been researching kayaks (think this will be a post surgery purchase). Would love to hear your ideas. Thanks!

McCall
on 8/18/15 2:57 pm

Adult colouring books!!! It is so fun!!!

Helna_Handbasket
on 8/18/15 3:33 pm - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Yup - I second the adult colouring books!  Piano lessons sound like a good idea.  Paddleboarding is my goal for next summer.  I've dug out a bunch of books I've been procrastinating on reading, and writing a weekly blog.  Pinterest has been great for exploring recipes for the various stages.  And I'm walking more.  I'm getting my girlfriends to try and think up new activities for us to do as a group, rather than do our usual Friday night dinner.  There's been discussions about Spanish classes, yoga and pottery.  We shall see.  I think you're in a good place though - finding new hobbies/things to do is important (IMO).  Oh and ask as many questions as you want!!

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

peacebypiece
on 8/18/15 5:48 pm

Adult colouring books...love it!! And Pinterest is a great idea too for me to do some searching!! Once I am small enough to not kill a horse:)), I think I will try horseback riding too--at least once:))

Karen M.
on 8/18/15 5:54 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I second the adult colouring books suggestion - LOVE it. I have me some very fancy pencils and some wicked awesome mandala designs on the go. You can get free printable mandala pages online at http://printmandala.com/ and I also saw a couple of wonderful books (cheap) at Costco. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

B-Trix123
on 8/18/15 6:26 pm - Toronto, Canada

I do volunteer work in my community. Good to focus on something other than job, family obligations. Keeps me out of my kitchen and away from restos. Gives me opportunities to meet new people, tackle new challenges and hopefully do something to improve things in the end. I have in the past been involved in my neighbourhood assoc. pushing for better policing (I live downtown) which eventually came. I have worked on a committee to revamp the common room in my building - challenging and fun.

Incognito55
on 8/18/15 6:46 pm - Toronto, Canada

Movies, knitting, reading, I'm addicted to Instagram, colouring, yoga, walks, candy crush...etc

Karen M.
on 8/18/15 6:48 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Mmmmm.... candy.....

Just kidding ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tatirod
on 8/18/15 8:26 pm - Toronto, Canada

I plan to teach myself to knit, make holiday ornaments, and prepare gift bags to hand out to children in hospitals during recovery.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

tatirod
on 8/19/15 5:43 pm - Toronto, Canada

Dear gawd, reading this now it sounds so fake.

but really.... I made a new set of ornaments for my tree last year and just bought a knitting book from Amazon.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Most Active
Recent Topics