Travel Question - Staples

Bob H.
on 8/25/15 6:44 pm - Nepean, Canada
RNY on 08/12/15

Hello All;

Here is perhaps a somewhat silly question, but I travel to Toronto sometimes 2 or 3 times a week via air... do the staples set up the security sensors and if so, what do you tell them?

Bob

Visualize the person you want to be every chance you get - and you can become it!

------------

Century Club Member at 6 months, working on my next 50 years!

HKT53
on 8/25/15 7:05 pm - Toronto, Canada

Some wands are more sensitive than others at the airport. Yes, I have set off sensors. And I had stapling 25 years ago. Being female, the security guards think that I have a wire in my bra. But a few times I would be asked a I told security I have staples in my stomach. They accept my response for domestic flights and I move on. But international flights, especially to the States, I will always be swabbed for DNA. It will be fine and after a few times it will be a normal thing you expect and respond appropriately.

Do you ever feel funny twinges standing in front of a micro wave? I haven't felt twinges for some ten years so maybe microwaves are made better. 

Safe travels, look them straight in the eye and don't try to give them medical terminology. "Yes, I have staples in my stomach"

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

BUFFY M.
on 8/25/15 8:42 pm - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

Oh wow. Thank you for posting this because I would've never thought about this. I am flying to the States next year and if I was stopped, I wouldn't have thought about the staples.  

Referral: July 2014 Orientation: October 2014 Meeting with Surgeon: March 23, 2015 RN/SW/Dietician: June 1, 2015 2ND Phone Interview with Dietician: July 7, 2015 Dr. Glazier (Internist): August 24, 2015 Surgery: November 23, 2015 Starting Weight: 305 lbs - Goal Weight: 130 lbs - Current Weight: 145 lbs

Helna_Handbasket
on 8/26/15 5:36 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Hey Bob,

I was a travel agent for decades, and what I would suggest to clients who had any concerns about letting off sensors - was to have a note that is legibly written by your physician stating you've got internal metal due to medical reasons, and mentioning approximate location.  Keep the note tucked in your passport and ready to present if the need occurs. 

Hope that helps :)

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/26/15 9:27 am - Ottawa, Canada

Are the staples for the RNY procedure?  If so, I've never set any sensors off -- in Canada or internationally.  And I fly a lot for work.  The swabs they do are for chemical residue (explosives, etc.), and they do it on a significant number of travellers.  I never take it personally.   They have a quota they have to meet...and often they don't necessarily swab those who set off metal detectors.  I've also been through the full body scan several times, and nothing ever shows up either.

TES
on 8/26/15 11:58 am - Ottawa, Canada

I flew from Ottawa to New Brunswick a in January and set off the "wand".  I totally forgot all about having staples and let the security people play with my clothes for awhile before the decided it was just "one of those things".  When it finally dawned on me that it was probably in "internal issue" I giggled for 20 minutes.  The poor ladies doing security were trying very hard not to be invasive - I even offered to strip off for 'em (I'm a bit of a goof ...), when they finally decided that I wasn't a gun-toting terrorist ready to take out a DASH headed to Moncton ...

TES

Nanato2
on 8/26/15 11:26 am, edited 8/26/15 11:27 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Hello Bob

I am 2 1/2 years out and travel a lot and had a sleeve so I have staples and never have I set off any security alarms. The staples are titanium.

Plus I have gone through the security checks in the courts and in NY at various sites around the city that has airport security at them and again nothing.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics