Weightloss Stall on Opti?

MyLifeRNYWay
on 11/27/15 6:12 am
RNY on 12/04/15

I'm on my 8th day of Opti today and doing quite well. Thanks everyone for your support on Monday when I was feeling really down! I'm feeling much better and definitely persevering. Getting lots of questions from coworkers regarding the shakes. One of me colleagues actually figured it out after we had had a conversation regarding being on a shake diet and then me announcing in a team meeting that I will be away for 4 weeks. It almost felt like weight fell off my shoulders - no pun intended ;).

Outside for that though, I wonder if experiencing a weight loss stall for the last 4 days is normal. I lost 6 lbs in the first 4 days that I was on it, but for the last 3 days the scale has not moved either way at all. I'm following the diet strictly and have not had anything else but shakes, broth and sf jello. I do think though that I should probably increase the amount of other calorie free fluids I consume. Thoughts? I'm probably freaking out too much, but I just worry about having the surgery and not being able to lose the weight. It's probably all in my head. Thanks.

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

tlj1974
on 11/27/15 6:45 am

You're doing fine.  As long as you follow the plan.  I was allowed 2 cips of vegetables per day.  I know its hard and we want to see results because we are investing so much into the process, try not to focus too much on the scales everyday.  Make sure you have your benefibre because you will get constipated and that also has weight.

Kittygirl001
on 11/27/15 6:52 am - Canada

I think it's normal I have had 2 stalls in the 3 weeks I have been on it...makes it so depressing, and I felt awful but then I got back in the right mindset of knowing I am following the rules and not cheating and just kept trucking on.  I have been on the shakes for 23 days + 1 shake(lol) and have lost 22 lbs so I think even with the stalls for me I'm averaging about 1lb a day.  It seems like a big sacrifice for a small number but it's making us healthier for our surgery!!  I hope you have a short lived stall...they are **** off!!

Andrea,

Surgery Date: Dec. 16th, 2015

RNY 

Dr. Lindsay, St. Josephs Healthcare

HW:374, OPTI SW:365 (11/4/15), SW:332, CW: 198

Patm
on 11/27/15 7:17 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Opti is not about losing weight. It is about shrinking the liver. Follow it and you will be fine. Not losing can be constipation or fluid retention. Try not to get too hung up or this journey will be a lot harder for you

sfayad
on 11/27/15 9:41 pm - Canada

I think your doing great. I'm in the process of meeting the surgeon and starting my optifast. 

One  thing I do know as long as you are doing the opt fast as directed you will be fine. In my surgical class I was informed that DR are very strict on this process and if a weight gain is seen that is significant they are asked to re do the opti fast process again. It is critical to lose this weight as it will shrink your liver and make your surgery much easier. I'm sure your ok as you have a weight lose and still have a few days to go. As for Increasing calorie free fluids intake that can only help you. 

You are doing all the right things and I see that your very compliant with what you need to do.  No it's not all in you head the fact that it concerns you tells me your serious about your program 

so keep up the great work. Your doing GREAT.  

S fayad 

DogGirl
on 11/28/15 6:01 am - Canada

I hear you, I'm in the exact same position!  I am day 11 on opti and just lost a bit of weight again this morning, so I am soooo glad, was stalled for days 8 through 10 and it was sooo frustrating!  I like you am following the instructions to the letter and even quit bouillon and jello as I figured maybe they were causing me to retain water or something.  I am now doing only opti and lots of water and am losing about a pound a day on average so I figure even if it stops for a few days it all evens out at some point. 

As long as we are compliant, the liver shrinks and we are ready for surgery in 11days--woohoo!

"The mind is its own place; and of itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."

iluvlemon
on 11/30/15 6:57 am
RNY on 01/18/16

Great job, and good luck on the rest of your journey! 

The scales are your enemy....stay off them, they play head games with you and for most of us it is a lot of head games that got us to where we are pre op. 

Follow the plan and you will succeed.   Just a little blip on the radar.....and shove the scales under your bed.....WAY under!   :) 

@GUELPH GH*Orientation:Feb 26/15*RN:Mar 2/15*NUT&SW:Apr 13/15*NUT RN SW Jun 25/15*NUT Jul 30/15*Surgeon list Sept 30/15*Post Op Nut Class Nov 16/15*Appt wi surgeon Dr Natasha P-Hong Nov 20/15*PATTS Jan 5/16 745am*Start Opti Jan 4/16*Surgery January 18/16 Dr Jules 1030am*

jennyboo202
on 12/5/15 10:19 am - Canada
RNY on 08/14/15
Most Active
Recent Topics