Orientation Soon ! Time for my life to change !! Any advice is welcomed.

CoraL33
on 3/11/16 1:00 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

I had enough, I have been overweight my entire life. In the 4th-5th grade I was 100 pounds, 8th grade I started my first diet, 9th grade I weighed 200 pounds. At 200 pounds (I'm 5.7) I was still very active, I walked everywhere, I loved to ride my bike, to camp, to swim, canoe, everything outdoorsy. My husband and I have been together for 12 years (since I was 14 years old) and we now have 3 children aged 2,4&6. I have had 3 c-sections and now weigh 288 pounds.  I don't swim anymore because I am to embarrassed, I don't do any of the things I use to love. I have an enlarged liver, my gallbladder has to come out(I still have 7 months to wait for that appointment) I suffer with the worst heartburn daily over everything I eat. I have a hard time bending to give my kids baths and I cant play with them like I want to. I want to be the mother who plays and feels good, who goes on camping trips and takes my kids on all the fun rides at the fair. But right now I am none of that & I feel like I am failing them. They are only little for so long and I want to fill their lives with memories.
I finally made the decision that this was my year to make a change for the better and to get my life started. I made an appointment and easily was granted a referral to the Thunder Bay Bariatric Center. So then the wait.... I am so flippin impatient it was so hard to wait. I waited almost 2 months and nothing so I got the courage (I have anxiety and get real nervous) and called the the center to check on the status of my refferal, the woman on the phone informed me that if it went through I should have gotten a call back with in 2 weeks but the system was frozen and she needed to call me back.. great more waiting ha so I waited and I didn't get a call back. The next day March 11 2016 I called back and the same woman answered and told me she was just about to call and they have it and there was a spot open for orientation March 21 2016 !! So close and I am so excited. I was happy dancing all over the house !  In 10 days I will be in Orientation and it feels unreal. I took the first step and I am over the moon. I know there is many other appointments to come and sometimes it takes longer then others but I was hoping maybe someone knows how long the process takes once orientation happens (rough estimate even)
and I was hoping for some tips and wisdom through my process. I am so happy to find this site. Thank you in advance for any feedback. Positive vibes !! woohoo.

Referral/January 2016, Orientation/March 21 2016,
Medical Intake/April 15 2016, Sleep Study/May 3 2016,
Registered Dietitian/Psychological Assessment/May 12 & June 8 2016
Surgeon consultation/June 22 2016 Scope/July 19th 2016
Start Opti-Fast/September 26th Surgery Date/October 17th 2016

B-Trix123
on 3/11/16 2:13 pm - Toronto, Canada

You are not impatient. You are motivated! The process is lengthy but stick with it -- I waited 13 mos. before I got my surgery, many wait longer. It's ridiculous and complicated, but unless you have the option of going state-side and paying for it, stick with it. I am 7 mos. post op and feeling better every week. No other procedure or diet has the success rate that gastric by-pass has. If you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to pick up the phone and call your centre. Procrastinating serves no one. Keep in touch with them about cancellations that you may be able to take advantage of. Pay attention and re-read the materials they give you.

There's a book you might want to grab (written by a Canadian) https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Guide-Program/dp/0778802736?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Lots of great support from forum members here --- and if you haven't checked it out, look at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ Many use their calorie counter software. I'd be lost without it. If you don't have good food scales - Canadian Tire has them on sale from time to time, also so good options on Amazon.ca. An essential tool for success IMO.

Recipes -- check out http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/

Good luck to you on this lifelong journey.

Teena D.
on 3/13/16 12:42 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

That's awesome! I was referred last month and was tired of not hearing so called in last week. Mine is May 4th. I was considering calling and asking if there were cancellations but my sister really likes that date and thinks it's a good omen. She's a Star Wars fan lol... I'm in Courtice so dealing with TWN

elisabeth1968
on 3/14/16 1:27 pm - toronto, Canada

You sound exactly like I did 1 year ago.  You have made the right decision for change.

I have lost almost 100 pounds but more than that I feel great.  A lot of non scale achievements that surpass the numbers on the scale.

Tying your shoes, bathing your children, sitting on the floor etc.  The time you spend in orientation will go by quickly and before you know it you will be given a surgery date.  Ask questions no matter how silly you may think that they are.

Feeling anxious is normal.

Good luck

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics