How much info do I give my work

wanttogetgoing
on 3/25/16 2:58 pm - St. Catharines

Im looking for advice.  How much info should I give my employer.  I don't want to lie but at the same time I will have to tell them something because I will need to take time off for all the appointments.  Any suggestions?

Teena D.
on 3/25/16 3:00 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I have a pretty great relationship with my boss so I've told her everything. You could just say you're dealing with some health issues and will need time for appointments. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/25/16 3:50 pm - Canada

Depends on your relationship, and your level of comfort I suppose.  You can just say your Dr  has suggested you have some tests done  (which is true).  Come surgery time when you will likely be requiring an extended amt of time off, you may be required to spill the beans then, but until then...I would suggest being careful who you share with unless you are comfortable with everyone knowing your business.  Just my opinion

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/16 3:55 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You don't have to give any details at all, they can't ask so if you don't want to share you don't have to.  If you have an open communication relationship and you feel comfortable telling them details then go for it but you don't have to.  You can just ask for days off or half days off, etc for medical appointments. Of course if they happen too often, they could ask for a note saying you did in fact have medical appointments but nothing more than that has to be said on it.  No doctor has to disclose to them what type of appointment you had beyond saying it was for medical reasons. And when surgery comes, you just need a note saying you need to be off xx weeks due to surgery.  If you have short term income protection at work then the insurance or third party could ask the surgeon to fill out papers but they go to them not to the employer.

sneezy6145
on 3/25/16 8:09 pm

I told my head boss, just because I didn't want them to question me about why I needed time off. I figured I would have had to disclose it to her at some point anyway. I didn't tell anyone else at work.

Dundreggen
on 4/6/16 12:28 pm - Canada

Everyone in my little office knows.  In part that is because we are all pretty friendly and share our lives.  But also so that when I am pre op (on optifast) and after they don't bring in a box of say krispy kreme donuts etc to celebrate something.  I may need their support to help after too.

Most Active
Recent Topics