Pureed stage -how much am I supposed to be eating at each meal?

canadianmommyof2
on 3/30/16 1:50 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi there, 

I'm now in the pureed stage.  It says in our manual that we should be eating 1/4 cup of food at each meal.a 1/4 cup is equal to 2 Oz. Is this correct? 

Additionally,  ate we supposed to just have protein or do I divide it up with 1 oz of protein, 1 oz veggie /fruit?

I just realized I may have been eating too much sometimes a each meal I was having 3 oz all together. I need to cut back if it's just 2 Oz.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jen

Lovely_Caprice
on 3/30/16 4:28 pm

1/4 cup is not necessarily 2oz.  For example 1/4 cup of lettuce is not 2 oz.  The only way to get accurate measurements/amount is to always weight food.

canadianmommyof2
on 3/30/16 4:49 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

That's true. but I do weigh everything. But today I just realized  having 3 oz  instead of 2 Oz  and that's too much food. I went on Google and converted 1/4 cup to ounces and it said 2oz.

Thanks for your help! 

Jen 

Catw
on 3/31/16 5:57 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Jen,

You can call your centre to confirm the amount, but I think you are allowed 1/2 cup per meal if you can eat that much. Not everyone can.  As for how it's divided, when you plan your day, make sure that you get your amount of protein in first, then anything extra can go to veggies etc.

Cathy

NorthernStar
on 3/31/16 6:06 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Weighing is great, but at this point I would focus more on the volume of food (so, look to the 1/4 cup more than the actual weight of the food). Weight and volume are not the same thing.

Measure your food then eat your meal, if it's too much to eat then don't worry, save it for your next meal. Did your centre provide you with a sample daily diet? You may not be interested in the same foods as the sample, but it will give you a good idea of how to structure and time your meals.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

canadianmommyof2
on 3/31/16 7:21 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks for your help and replies everyone! 

Jen 

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/16 2:14 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Ounces are both a unit of weight and a unit of volume.  2 ounces is 1/4 cup of volume but not everything that fits in that 1/4 cup is going to weigh 2 ounces.  At this point, it's volume that matters, so put in the 1/4 cup whatever you want and eat what fits in the cup.  You don't need to weigh at this point unless you are trying to figure out how many calories you are eating then you need to weigh 1 oz of chicken let's say then puree it and put it in the 1/4 cup and see how much room it takes up.  

canadianmommyof2
on 4/1/16 2:22 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks for clarifying Tracey112205. That makes a lot of sense and really helps. I will start measuring in the 1/4 from now on.

Thanks,

Jen 

Most Active
Recent Topics