Hair Loss - when is it going to end?

MyLifeRNYWay
on 4/3/16 5:24 pm
RNY on 12/04/15

Hi All! I'm at the point in my post op journey, I'm four months out, when I've started losing hair. It started about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I was of course prepared for it having done all the homework from my assessment process, but I just wonder how long it lasted on the average for you. My hair looks fine, it is just a different picture when I look at my bathroom floor or at when I wash my hair in the shower. I do believe it is closely connected to having been under general anesthesia as I had an emergency C-section with my older son where I was put to sleep and also was losing a lot of hair about 4 months after that. I also wonder if it is a good idea to have highlights done right now or will it weaken my hair even more. I had my 3 months follow up with the nurse in March and all my vitamin levels were very good so I know I don't have any deficiencies.

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

BluIzGal
on 4/4/16 2:19 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

My hair loss stopped after three years. 

White Dove
on 4/4/16 3:25 am - Warren, OH

Most stop by nine months.  Color, highlights, and a layered cut can work wonders

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

roxytrim
on 4/4/16 6:26 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Mine stopped at just over 7 mon. My stylist suggested daily head massage to stimulate the folicles & use non permanent dye, it thickens the shaft and the deep conditioner with it works wonders.

MonaLisaSmile
on 4/4/16 6:40 am - Canada

The worst of it was the  4-6 mth period.  I continued to wa**** everyday and get my highlights.  I find having that colour ( well...bleach) put in helps with styling fullness and lift.  It thinned quite a bit, but I don't think anyone but me noticed the difference.  Now I'm just dealing with the regrowth and the flyaways.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Monica9811
on 4/4/16 8:55 am - Peterborough, Canada

I lost my hair pretty much from month 3 to month 9 and then it started to grow back!  It is now back to being thick and full and I have to have it thinned out when I get it cut.  It definitely got very thin but I noticed more than anyone.

Good luck!

need_to_run_81
on 4/5/16 5:35 pm

I'm a month out from surgery, and buying Nioxin to help stop the hair loss. I'm just growing in all the hair I lost from my last pregnancy (shedding is normal after pregnancy), and don't think I can afford another shed so quickly together.  I don't know when it stops, but there are things you can do to slow it down.  

MyLifeRNYWay
on 4/5/16 5:57 pm
RNY on 12/04/15

Thanks everyone! Definitely getting my highlights and cut next week, thanks for all the great advice.

Referral: Aug 27/14, Orientation TWH: Jan 28/15, Social Worker: Apr 17/15, Nurse Practitioner: Jul 9/15, Nutrition Class: Jul 14/15, Psychologist: Aug 18/15, Nutritionist: Aug 28/15, Surgeon: Oct 2/15, RNY Surgery: Dec 4/15

Most Active
Recent Topics