Twisting pain in my stomach

canadianmommyof2
on 4/4/16 2:27 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Hi,

Well it's been three weeks since my surgery and I'm on pureed diet and I'm allowed to have melba toast and flaky moist fish. So I've been having the small round bruschetta flavoured melba toast with spicy tuna the past few days and I've been fine. Today, I had the same melba toast (2 pieces 3gms of carbs only) with regular tuna. As I'm eating  it ( took me 25 minutes to eat both, my stomach started feeling like it was twisting and so much pain for about 10 minutes. At the same time I had a bowel movement. 

Is this a sign of dumping syndrome?  Did regular tuna not agree with me or is thus just not normal.  My stomach has been feeling heavy ever since.

Thanks for your help! 

Jen

Leslie W.
on 4/4/16 4:27 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Not dumping. Sounds mor like it got stuck. You will find that at times no problem eating something. Try it again and nope won't go down. Dumping usually occurs if you eat something to high in sugar or fat. You get sweaty,crampig overall feel like crap. It may give you loose stools etc... I will dump if i eat ice cream. Way too much sugar, fats. 

Just try something else for a few days then try again. May be the tuna was too dry. Had a hard time with tuna at the beginning

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
canadianmommyof2
on 4/4/16 5:27 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks for your help!  I think I will stay away from it for a while! 

Jen 

birdiegirl
on 4/4/16 5:05 pm, edited 4/4/16 10:16 am

What is your surgeons plan?  Pureed is exactly what it states.  Melba toast is not puree.  Did you put the tuna in a blender with a bit of fluid before eating? 

You are 20 days post surgery.  In my opinion, way too early.  Don't push things or you may find your surgery  (and body) pushes back!

I know it can be tough and you get nervous.   Just take it very slowly 

canadianmommyof2
on 4/4/16 5:25 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

In the manual in the pureed stage it says we can have melba toast and flaky moist fish. So that's why I had it. It was fine until I had regular tuna. The spicy tuna was also fine.  But I'm going to stay away from it.

Thanks for your help! 

Jen 

Zizzler
on 4/4/16 8:29 pm

Sounds like the crackers got stuck, I know it sucks.  You are doing the right thing in putting the food aside for now, give it a shot at a later time. Listen to your pouch and give it the time it needs to be ready for food, this might take longer than what the manual says, everyone is different.  I know it is awful that feeling, I had it happen maybe a dozen times or so over the past few years.  Sometimes sipping a little water would help but not always.  If you are concerned it is something more you should contact your centre, ask them what they think. 

canadianmommyof2
on 4/5/16 4:32 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks Zizzler!  It's such a scary feeling to feel like that. I hope it doesn't happen again,  but I know it might as I'm still trying out new food.

Sorry that you had this happen to you too.Not a great feeling! And yes, I will definitely stay away from the crackers and tuna for now. My stomach sometimes feels heavy, is this normal? 

Thanks for your help! 

Jen 

canadianmommyof2
on 4/4/16 5:25 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

In the manual in the pureed stage it says we can have melba toast and flaky moist fish. So that's why I had it. It was fine until I had regular tuna. The spicy tuna was also fine.  But I'm going to stay away from it.

Thanks for your help! 

Jen 

Canadajet
on 4/10/16 5:45 am

I found saltine crackers better and I chewed and chewed so when I swallowed it was pasty and smooth.  I stayed away from spicy and now 5 months post I add some spice to my food.  Also eating too fast was another culprit of what you experienced.  Even now I have to watch my timing when eating.  My oldest child will remind me to slow down especially if we are out eating.  Changing habits is the key to success

kellybelly333
on 4/5/16 11:31 am - Toronto, Canada

I thought the same thing Barb, when I read that in my manual over 5 years ago. I guess TWH still has melba toast on their pureed stage list. I didn't have issues with it. Tuna, however, I don't think I had for a long time...too dense!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics