Shingles

canadianmommyof2
on 4/15/16 2:47 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks for your help! I didn't know that. I'm definitely going to be careful!

B-Trix123
on 4/14/16 12:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

WOW! Sorry you are having such a rough go. My GP just spoke to me about the vaccine last week - I'm ready to roll up my sleeve!

canadianmommyof2
on 4/14/16 1:31 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Yes ,  you better. Lol. Don't want to be like me.

Thanks for everyone's kind words and thoughts! 

Jen

wanttogetgoing
on 4/14/16 2:50 pm - St. Catharines

sorry to hear that you caught shingles.  It's a tough break.  I have the valine on order and now I really need to make sure I get it soon. Feel better .

canadianmommyof2
on 4/14/16 4:07 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

Thank you! 

sneezy6145
on 4/14/16 5:37 pm

I'm so sorry, Jen, I hope you feel better. I think I may ask about the vaccine now. 

Sandra61
on 4/15/16 5:15 am - Canada

Hi: I am sorry to hear you are suffering from Shingles. I asked my PCP for the shot and he said I was not old enough for the shingles vaccine. He said I had to be over 65 as that was the higher risk age? Has anyone else ever heard of this? 

Solstice
on 4/15/16 6:13 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Yes that is right, the vaccine is limited to certain age groups. Check with your local health unit about vaccines, scheduling and cost.

Which is crazy, because they say  the risk starts at 50-I got shingles when I was 52. Just a young'n! I think.

The Ontario government just announced it will cover the cost of the vaccine only for ages 65+, I believe, but not until next year.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2016/02/26/free-shingles-vaccine-for-seniors-proposed-in-2016-ontario-budget-welcomed-by-peterborough-county-city-health-unit-medical-officer-of-health

Some work benefit plans will cover the vaccine.

Please know too, if you get shingles, and realize that is what it is-that is the hard part-and you get the ant-viral within 72 hours of onset, it lessens the severity. For me, it was the excruciating nerve pain that drove me to the doctor, not the blisters. And yes, the blisters near the eye are very dangerous.

Mine was really painful for about 4 days, then it resolved.

Solstice

Pamela.S.
on 4/15/16 6:28 am - Canada

Our group insurance covered the cost of the vaccine for my husband and I.  Not sure what the actual cost would be, but I think definitely worth it because I've heard how painful shingles can be.

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

Most Active
Recent Topics