I think I need a therapist

GentleDomenic
on 8/8/16 11:38 am - Canada

4 months out already and physically feeling amazing.

My mind on the other hand is playing tricks on me and I have been doing things that I normally wouldn't and having thoughts about things I have never had. 

Compliments are making me nervous and almost withdrawn in social settings and I'm having a hard time with changes and how people see me

Looking for someone to talk to that most employer group plans would cover and will have some good schedule flexibility 

I am in the East end and would love if anyone can message me in private the name of a facility/therapist

This isn't easy for me , everything should improving I'm worried and want to be proactive , even if this is just part of the process I'm worried

lammytee14
on 8/8/16 12:30 pm

Congrats on your progress so far. Sorry to hear that you are struggling with some of the things that go along with it. Like you, I had a difficult time with compliments and wish I could hide to avoid the attention the weight loss was causing. Life was simpler (in a way) when I was bigger and blended into the surroundings.

I would suggest contacting the centre where you had your surgery for an appointment with the behaviourist (or other appropriate person in the clinic). They are a wonderful resource.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

White Dove
on 8/8/16 1:08 pm - Warren, OH

I found my therapist through my weight loss surgery program.   She had weight loss surgery herself and understands the challenges.  I would suggest contacting your surgeon or a weight loss surgery center close to you..

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GentleDomenic
on 8/8/16 1:25 pm - Canada

Thanks guys , I will contact them this week 

I know it's interrelated but I'm almost ashamed to talk to the centre about what's going on

crqvingchange
on 8/8/16 3:39 pm

Don't be ashamed to talk to the Centre, that's why they have therapists on staff.  I am sure that the Centres therapist will have encountered similar issues before.  It is not uncommon and I absolutely felt uncomfortable with compliments about my weight loss.  I was not comfortable talking about my weight when I was obese, and I still am uncomfortable talking about it now when I'm a normal weight.  Today a woman was kind of prying to find out how much I lost.  I did not feel comfortable telling her the number so I just said a lot.  Also I think there are several support groups in the Toronto area that may be of help.  Good luck, sending hugs.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Mom2Chi
on 8/8/16 3:45 pm

Don't feel ashamed...you are brave and smart for recognizing you could benefit from a therapist. 

I started working with a therapist 3 months ago when I began my process towards surgery. I have gotten so much out of our sessions that I really look forward to them! Sadly I'm not in your city so my therapist wouldn't work for you.

Have you looked into whether you have an EAP (employee assistance prep gram) through your benefits at work? If so, you may be able to call them for some guidance. My EAP has several free sessions with an MSW included in my benefits.

I have recently started being open about seeing a therapist and because of that I have learned that most people either are seeing one as well, or have in the past, or want to start therapy.  It is more mainstream and acceptable than it ever was.

Wishing you much success in your journey.

Leslie W.
on 8/8/16 5:46 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Our bodies go through so many changes quickly that our brains can't keep up. For me beingheavy I often felt invisible. Once started losing weight people noticed it was very hard. Does your employer use EAP? If they do they are a great resource, free and confidential and offer flexible hours. Hormone changes from surgery often lead to depressive symptoms you are not alone. 

My GP belongs to a family practice group that has social worker and therapists so check with your gp. Just recognizing the changes is a huge step. 

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
GentleDomenic
on 8/9/16 11:35 am - Canada

The thought of telling my surgeon In a few weeks scares me to death. Dr Starr is the nicest man and basically saved my life. The idea of telling him this after everything he has done for me makes me terrified

You are all right in your support , I keep telling I'm not the only one 

sneezy6145
on 8/9/16 6:51 pm

I'm only 4 weeks out and find I am suffering from depression. I cry sometimes. I may look into talking to someone too. It kind of surprised me. I was so excited before surgery and now feel like if I say I'm depressed, I sound ungreatful. I figure it will pass. If you do find someone, Dominic, let me know...I too, am in the east end.

IamBettyCooper
on 8/16/16 6:29 pm

It's not just a physical journey, it is an emotional one.  Totally normal and expected, everything you are feeling.

Call the centre you had your surgery with and ask to see a psychiatrist or psychologist ... I am sure they will set up an appointment for you without you having to discuss it with the surgeon. 

Good for you for realizing that you need to talk it out with someone.  It's very brave and you will not regret it.

In the interim, if you need a friendly ear, happy to chat with you anytime.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics