What would June look like if i had my surgery in april (food wise)

rce884
on 10/1/16 1:26 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

I know what the books tell me but what is your personal experience with 2 months out. i  ask because I take a time share vacation on the first week of June. and it looks like my surgery wont be until the March April time. (guesstimating on this) if it is may than i know i will be not eating my yearly steak and veggie platter (steak is too tough i think for that soon according to books at least) but lets say April, for arguments sake. what were you eating two months out?

what was a treat at 2 months out (any special food, meatloaf, or hamburgers sans buns?) that's the way my mind is leaning right now. just looking for something to look forward to on my birthday. i know this is miles off but just was curious about any ones 2 months out experience. 

thanks in advance

Cheers

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Lovely_Caprice
on 10/1/16 2:49 pm

I usually vacation in Europe for the month of November every year however, this year it will not happen.  I will be 4 weeks post op next Friday, personally it is more important to get things right so I am staying at home this year.  This is my personal opinion.  I am learning new things everyday so for me it is more important to be in my familiar surroundings. 

rce884
on 10/4/16 6:32 am
RNY on 09/05/17

So this is a great idea. we have decided to postpone our trip for several months. it is too difficult to vacation and follow eating protocols. it will still be difficult in a few months time but i will be better able to deal with food issues having been dealing with them for some months at that point. and she will be able to have a better idea how to cook with my needs in mind. 

thank you for the great idea. (not that we cancelled but i did decide to postpone after reading your post)

Teena D.
on 10/1/16 5:50 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I think if you are looking for a treat it might be a good idea to look at something non-food related.  Maybe a spa day? 

Im not going to say I will never cheat because hhats not even remotely realistic but I'm really hoping to use this pre-op and the "honeymoon stage" post-op where the weight is coming off quickly- to change my relationship with food. 

Anyway, that's just my suggestion. Hopefully you will be more like 4 or 5 months post op and a small steak will be doable. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Alexsks
on 10/2/16 4:21 am
RNY on 10/17/16

I agree with daizymom

It will be also my biggest challenge not to reward, comfort or celebrate with food however, I will work on it :) 

tring to change your mind set should start now.

alex

rce884
on 10/4/16 6:49 am
RNY on 09/05/17

OH oh oooh 

Of course. thats me falling into old eating habits. it never even occured to me that i l would be viewed as rewarding with food. i know that after the surgery i will be more aware physically of the need to not reward with food. i suppose i was just not thinking. 

I didn't mean to say i would cheat. i was not thinking cake and cookies (i dread the dumping syndrom) i was just wondering what foods would be available to me at that stage. but you are right it isn't a reward. I see now how that may have come across as bad old behaviours. 

I will have to be mindful of that in the future. 

old habits die hard.

Meggles07
on 10/2/16 5:27 am - Canada

I agree with the others in not celebrating with food, especially that early out. Unfortunately my eating at two months out was not very interesting. Depending on your plan you are probably still very much on soft foods only. At two months for me I was just starting to introduce different soft foods. No raw veggies ****il 3 months), no red meat ****il 6 months). Ground beef -- meatballs, meatloaf, burgers, etc. is very hard on my pouch. I still have trouble sometimes, even at 1.5 years out. 

rce884
on 10/4/16 6:51 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Thank you that is very much in what i had in mind. 

i did not mean to imply rewarding with food. Rather, musing aloud sort of asking what would be available to me. the no red meat till much later is very helpful to me as i was hoping for red meat sooner. but to know that it can cause pouch problems is good to know

crqvingchange
on 10/2/16 6:02 am

Like Meg, I was told no raw veg until 3 months (no salad) and no red meat until 6 months.  Guelph says that many people have issues digesting these things early on and they want to give your new pouch lots of time to heal.  At 2 months you will be having a hard time meeting your protein needs every day.  You have to try (it's important for healing) but there will be days when it's a struggle.  You might be eating 2oz of shrimp for dinner with some cooked asparagus.  

Worry about what new activities you will be able to do at your time share, like swimming, hiking etc.  At 2 months you should be cleared for exercise. Don't focus on treats, focus on making the most of your honeymoon phase and getting as much weight off as you can during malabsorption.  Your weight loss may start slowing down after 6 months, for many it does.  The first 6 months are wonderful, squeeze every opportunity out of them to help you towards your goal.  

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

rce884
on 10/4/16 7:57 am
RNY on 09/05/17

What a great idea, i can swim in the resort pool. i am always meaning to. 

i doubt i will be able to hike. my arthritis is worse now than ever but it will be something to try to do more of. the weight lessened on my knee joint will make it easier i would think.

Maybe i will make a point to walk down to the fishing hole with my love of my life. she likes to fish. for hours on end. i can poke about the river banks for a bit myself. its not much but its more than now. 

and i am changing the date so i will have more movablity by the time we go anyway..

Thank you so much for the advice

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Most Active
Recent Topics