Excited and Scared.. help?

Dundreggen
on 11/4/16 5:17 pm - Canada

Surgery is coming up fast, the 21st.

I have planned it to be super busy until then.  Working at the Royal Winter Fair and then picking up an extra 10 hours the next week. However I am getting quite nervous about the surgery.  I have never really had surgery before.  My date got moved up and I called back to get a few details (like time of day etc as I need to co ordinate my ride to the hospital etc) and if I hadn't asked how much before should I be there before the time I would have had no idea it was 3 hours!

I am sure they will tell me more.

However veterans of RNY.  Particularly those who had it at TWH.  How did your surgery day look.  Any tips to make things go smoother?  Things to avoid?  Things that surprised you or that you had not anticipated.

Thanks.  Super stoked about getting on the losers bench.. just have to get past the surgery first!

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Travelher
on 11/4/16 6:34 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

I had my surgery in Montreal oct 4th.  I traveled there the night before surgery.  I was told no food or liquid after midnight. I had to be at the clinic at 6:30 am.  They weighed me, got me in my gown and gave me some medications. I was shown to my room and allowed to unpack.  I was taken to the OR probably around  7:30 am.  My surgery was a revision from a lap band to a bypass so more complicated than a regular bypass. The surgeon met with me briefly to explain that if my band eroded into my stomach he would not be able to do a revision, he would remove the band and that is it.  He said if there was too much scar tissue, he would not be able to do a bypass and would do a sleeve instead.  He said if it looked good I would get the bypass I wanted.  I went into the or. Laid down on the table and then they put pressure cuffs on my legs and the mask on my face...next I rememer waking in the recovery room and the doctor telling me it went very well and I got the bypass.  He told me the surgery took 2 hrs.  

They rolled me back to my room, I was very groggy and took a while to really wake up (20 mins or so).  Once I did I felt nauseous and threw up.  The nurses were there and explained it was normal and a reaction to the anesthetic...they gave me medication for nausea in my if and I felt better.  I also asked for pain killers and then blissfully fell asleep.  When I woke up I asked for water but they wouldn't let me have any, but I was allowed ice chips.  So I kept asking for ice chips refills which helped.  I got up to pee around 6pm and used my if pole to help steady me.  The nurse stayed nearby to make sure I was ok.  Walking was awesome because it helped me burp more.  The most discomfort is caused by gas.  Though I felt weak walking felt good, so I started getting up for short walks almost every hour.  It got easier as the pain killers were leaving my system.  My surgery required a two night stay, but I felt well enough to leave after the first day, unfortunatly i needed to stay for the second night..

Travelher
on 11/4/16 6:40 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

The worst part was the roommate situation. I had a snoring roommate so couldn't sleep.. that is why I spent so much time walking..but maybe that is why I did so well so early.  They started food on day 2 but I wasn't really hungry...I did have some jello and maybe a couple of tablespoons of gross bouillon.  

Ive had 4 prior surgeries, knee surgery, breast reduction, lap band, c-section and finally my bypass.  I swear this was the easiest recovery of them all.  I was apple picking at chudleys 5 days postop.  My husband did the carrying though.   

Ps. I ordered patch md vitamins prior to surgery and wore them starting in the hospital.  I bet they helped me with the energy most others complain about.

Loril1963
on 11/4/16 7:30 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

Hi, I just had my surgery October 28, a week today. I did not have it at TWH, but at the keele/Wilson sight.  After surgery I asked for pain medication and anti nausea meds all day. I wasn't a hero, if I let the pain go it would make me feel sick. But by that evening I was already feeling better!  The next day I just needed some Tylenol and was released. On the Sunday I didn't need anything and to this day I have no pain!  Just get through the first few hours after surgery. Good luck

crqvingchange
on 11/4/16 7:37 pm

I always suggest taking earplugs to help you get some rest.  The day of surgery you will probably be tired.  When you go to your pre-op visit and speak with the anesthesiologist,  tell him that you are a little nervous about the surgery and ask if he can give something to help calm you before the surgery.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Ginnny
on 11/5/16 5:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I had my surgery at TWH on April 11th (Monday).  I had to be at the hospital by 8:00, and it was probably around 9 - 9:30 before they started doing anything with me.  My surgery was schedule for 11.  They didn't weigh me just got me to change, did a MRSA swab, took my vitals, and then the surgeon came in to chat and answer any questions I had.  I walked over to where they take blood and hook up your IV ports.  Then I walked to the OR (that was a surprise) and hopped up on the table.....my husband was given a pager that sent him messages as to my status, and to let him know when I was done.  I think I was in recovery at around 1:00 and up to my room by 2:30 ish.....they had me sipping water and juice right away.....I was a little groggy until around 7, and then I was up walking the halls, little to no pain.  I was in a private room which was nice, so if you can get that, I'd highly recommend.  I was discharged Wednesday morning......

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Faye P.
on 11/5/16 8:59 am - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

Just had surgery a few days ago Nov 2 at St Joes in Toronto.  Don't bring too much with you to the hospital.   My comfy slippers were basically all I used other than my phone to let family and friends know I was okay. I didn't have any nausea at all and felt very good the day of the surgery. The next day or two have just been relaxing, walking or moving, and getting in my liquids. Over the next couple days I'll be trying to get in my protein and working on managing my new tummy.  Just a little stiff but I know that is just from the surgery and will subside. I even took the bus out of Toronto and made my way to Orillia so my boyfriend didn't have to combat Friday night traffic in and out of Toronto. Got me home a day earlier than I had planned. Love being in my own home for healing.

I was very nervous heading to the hospital but everyone there is so calm and know just what to do. I'm sure you'll be great and do great!!  Keep us informed on your surgery... the bench is ready for you ?

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

Toronto Girl
on 11/5/16 8:08 pm

I had surgery at TWH two weeks ago. Here's a step-by-step of what happens on the day-of...

Mine was at Noon so I arrived at 10ish. They check you in, you get into the gear (they put your stuff in a bag and send it to your room), a nurse meets with you quickly in a private room and then you wait in a space with 5 other people waiting for different surgeries - there were a few people there for knees while I was there.

Then, you get visitors one by one from the surgery nurse (mine was awesome. make sure whoever is waiting with you meets her - she will give them a pager and she will send them messages about how you are doing on it - my mom was with me and LOVED that) the surgeon (who marks your belly with an X to say you have been seen by him and are getting stomach surgery), the surgery resident stops by, and finally, the anesthesiologist. I had the loveliest man named Kim from England and I loved him - I was a little anxious and he made me SUPER chill. He puts the IV line into your hand. He then walked me to the surgery room - which is down a back hallway of the hospital.

When you get into the room, everyone there introduces themselves to you. There were two nurses who were tending to me - one was the lead and one was a student + another surgery nurse who was prepping instruments + the surgery resident. Plus Kim, my lovely anesthesiologist. You lay on a bed, and the two nurses help you get comfy, take your vitals + put the electrodes on you to monitor your heart rate etc. They put a mask with just oxygen on you and the surgery resident gives them instructions to give you meds via the IV - which is some combination of anti-biotics + some sort of pre-anesthesia drugs. They said it would feel like I was a little drunk and literally it did - then really quickly you fall asleep. I never saw Dr. Jackson because by the time he got there I was sleeping. 

TWH wakes you up IN the surgery room, and has you move into the bed yourself. They warn you in advance that you may remember that - but I can tell you 1000% I do not. I woke up in the recovery room with a nurse next to me. I was lucky and didn't feel nausea, but some people do. I stayed there for about 20 more mins - they gave me warm blankets for my belly because it hurt a bit - and then a Dr cleared me to leave and two porters wheeled me to my room on the 9th floor. I slept on and off up there all afternoon.

Dr. Jackson visited me later that day, and because it was Friday, told me other residents would be in on Sat/Sun (they were - and they were great). The nursing staff on the 9th floor were awesome and brought me warm blankets for my belly as often as I wanted. 

TWH does mandatory two-night stay. I was really glad, even though I didn't have a ton of pain and was pretty alert. I could sleep and walk around as I wanted, but I felt really safe. You keep IV in for the first night - fluids and pain meds (if you want them) but second night you don't have that - so you can be free of wires to get up to pee! 

When they discharge you the second day, the residents come in, then a discharge nurse comes in with a TON of info. Either write this down yourself or get someone with you to write it down. I wasn't on any meds but it's amazing how I feel like I completely forget half of what she said - I refer to the notes my mom took all the time! They give you a couple of prescriptions - if you leave on a Sunday the Shoppers downstairs is closed, but any other day it's open so you can get it filled there.

I felt all the time that I was being REALLY well cared for. And my mom, who works in healthcare, was very impressed. Everyone really cared. 

You will do great! Just relax and trust in their process.

Pro tip: if you happen to have semi-private insurance coverage, for only $35 extra a night you can have a private room. I did it and it was awesome. 

Dundreggen
on 11/5/16 8:53 pm - Canada

Thank you sooooooo much. This was exactly the step by step I was hoping someone would  post! I appreciate all the other responses too but I am so glad you took the time to type it :) 

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/16 7:54 am

I'm heading to TWH for surgery soon too?  What a great summary!!! Thanks for that too!!  Who can you ask about upgrading to private for the extra $35 from semi-private? 

I would be interested in that too. 

Best of luck in your journey and recovery!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics