Can I workout yet??

fireburnsbrightest
on 11/14/16 2:22 pm
RNY on 10/19/16

As of Tuesday I'll be four weeks post-op. Prior to surgery I worked out intensely, 5 - 6 x a week (MMA, p90x3, yoga...) so needless to say, the walking and not doing much of anything is starting to get to me! I'm feel great, not even sore anymore and YAY I'm on to solids, so I'm just wondering what kind of workouts can I do? I know I can't jump back into my MMA or the weight lifting I did with p90x - but would something like Yoga be okay, or aerobics/low impact/modified routines with resistance bands and so forth?

Toronto Girl
on 11/14/16 5:47 pm

I would think that as long as you avoid core stuff (beyond yoga) for the first while - so your tummy muscles heal more - you should be fine? Like legs, arms, other things 5-10lbs and cardio?

But I'm not a dr and I'm only 3-wks out... I'm going to TWH on Wed and am planning on asking a LOT of questions about working out because I also love it.

fireburnsbrightest
on 11/14/16 5:53 pm
RNY on 10/19/16

I head to Sudbury next Monday for my month follow-up, and I plan on doing the same! Until then I was looking for some advice from others who have been through it :). I have to imagine you're right though. Especially about the core bit!

EvaWantsChange
on 11/21/16 6:27 am - mississauga, Canada

I'm also 4weeks n I'm going on Wednesday too to Toronto western to ask lots of questions

Stef22
on 11/14/16 7:55 pm

I was given the go ahead to workout at my 1 month follow up. The only restriction I was given was no weight lifting until 3 months. To be honest I did not feel secure to workout until I heard it from them lol. 

Faye P.
on 11/16/16 9:26 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

I was waiting to see after the 1 month follow up. In the hospital when I asked the nurse and she said I should be waiting for at last 6 to 8 weeks before I head back to the gym. I thought that was a long time. She mentioned to get out walking for small amounts of time first to slowly build my body tolerance back. 

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

Most Active
Recent Topics