2 week six post op update

Faye P.
on 11/16/16 1:17 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

hi all. I haven't posted for a bit. Relaxing and healing.  Have been doing great although a couple small scares. About a week out I felt like I was carrying around a small baby under my left breast. I was concerned and went to the ER in North Bay. After 9 hours I was released. A cat scan showed I have a very large mass of pooled blood called a hemotoma which after talking to my surgeon the doctors said there is nothing to do except wait for it to dissipate over the next while.  The next day I have been fixated on getting in my proteins and pushed it a bit too much having about 1 and 1/4 cup of soup over 30 mins. I think I experienced the dumping effect. I have never felt so terrible in my life. Cold and hot sweats, shaking, attempts at being sick as well as many trips to the bathroom. I couldn't lay down, stand up or sit down, no comfort anywhere.  I tell ya that will be the last time I push things.  Now I'm listening to my body and still trying to get in the min 60 grams of protein although it is very slow and long times. All a learning curve!  

I am very tired of what I consider sweet things. Even the unflavoured protein powder to me tatstes sweet.  Anyone with suggestions please send on. I'm now trying out the GNC lean shakes which have 25g of protein for each one just to ensure the protein gets there but still sweet.  Had my very first poached egg today and think that was successful!

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

blueherring
on 11/16/16 5:17 pm
RNY on 12/23/16

I'm glad you are feeling better now. I'm not a fan of sweet drinks myself. I start optifast on Dec 2 and this is my biggest concern.

I never drink anything sweet and very rarely use sweetener. Guess I am in for a shock :(

Would love to hear suggestions on how to relieve the 'sweet' taste.

Referral to Ottawa Civic Hospital in March 2016, surgery on Dec 23 with Dr Neville,

Loss so far M1=21, M2=10, M3=8, M4=8, M5=7, M6=6, M7=5

thisgirl
on 11/16/16 8:25 pm

Hi I'm on puree stage. 

I've had pureed lentil soup, laughing cow cheese, and today i mashed an egg with greek yogurt for lunch and i pureed it with laughing cow and Greek yogurtfor dinner with salt and pepper.

I'm also super sick of sweet stuff.

I also have unjury chicken soup protein powder. Feel free to message me. Would love to share experiences. 

(surgery - Nov 4)

Faye P.
on 11/16/16 8:31 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

Hi this Girl!  I'm very curious as to what chicken soup protein is!  Going to check out bulk barn tomorrow and see if I can find something like that.  I'm going to try cooking chicken tomorrow and try to moisten it somehow. Maybe that protein powder will work :)

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

Cinderz
on 11/17/16 2:47 am

Hi Faye.P

I don't know it this will help but I have found if you either simmer chicken for about an hr (I use boneless/skinless) or put it in the crockpot for several hours with a carton of cambells reduced sodium broth, it comes out super moist. It is very easy to shred with a fork and most times will fall apart while taking it out. I played around a little prior to starting optifast as I wasn't sure how I'd do on puréed meat, I tried to purée it with both some of the left over broth as well as a small amount of cream of chicken soup, both turned out ok.

Faye P.
on 11/17/16 8:18 am - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

Crock pot is a great idea cinderz thanks!!  I had two tablespoons of tuna in light mayonnaise this morning. So  far so good!

Faye P.
on 11/17/16 3:39 pm - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

Cinderz!!  What an absolutely amazing way to do chicken in the crockpot. I did what you suggested and used non fat no salt chicken broth and cooked on high heat for 6 hours. The chicken fell apart and I used the broth to sma**** with a fork. No need to purée at all. So great thanks!  Managed to eat 3 ounces with no issues yet. Way better tasting protein that I've had for a while. 

Cinderz
on 11/17/16 8:09 pm

I'm so happy this worked out well for you. This has become my new favorite way of making my chicken. Once cooked you can do so many things with it and it the broth really enhances the flavour I find. It freezes nicely this way too and defrosts just as moist.

Teena D.
on 11/17/16 8:25 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

There are a lot of great recipes for the puree stage (all stages really) at www.bariatricfoodie.com and http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/

Apparently Eggface's Ricota Bake is amazing.  :)

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Faye P.
on 11/17/16 8:35 am - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

Thanks daisymom!  Yes I saw that recipe for ricottabake too. Looks really good ? 

Most Active
Recent Topics