Barilla pasta PLUS?

rce884
on 1/29/17 10:19 am
RNY on 09/05/17

i was looking for a good high protein pasta and i found that in Canada we seem to have not as many options but the barilla plus rotini penne and spaghetti are available in most grocery stores and one serving is 14g of protein? any thoughts. should i try it out pre surgery to see if i like it or just ditch the pasta all together?

any feedback is appreciated. 

thank  you

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

skinny_gigi
on 1/29/17 11:13 am

Personally i would ditch - i tend to stick with the straight forward proteins...dairy, meats, etc.  whenever i try alternative proteins i tend to hold or gain weight.

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

rce884
on 1/30/17 10:28 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Great advice thank you

its always good to hear about others stories 

:)

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/17 11:16 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I'd just skip it until you are in maintenance, the carbs are still extremely high. I looked quickly and I believe the carbs are 3 times as high as the protein in a serving so you really aren't getting much protein for that amount of carbs.  

rce884
on 1/30/17 10:27 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Thanks for the info it really helps to have such a supportive community to be involved in. I may never have thought of how to check that. It would be a long way off if ever I would consider it but with that level of carbs is sounds out for me

Kathy1212
on 1/29/17 12:36 pm
Kathy1212
on 1/29/17 12:47 pm

I found one online that is available in Canada and it's made from only 2 ingredients; chickpeas and lentils. 

https://well.ca/products/chickapea-pasta-penne-pasta_124310. html?gclid=CKOsuvWa6NECFVOewAody-8AUg

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

rce884
on 1/30/17 10:25 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Thank you it is not for a long time (if ever after reading the response to this post) that I will need it but thanks so much for the information 

birdiegirl
on 1/29/17 2:28 pm

I'm going to give you some good advice here.  I hope you will heed it

Forget trying to duplicate the foods that got you where you are today.  Period, 

Pasta is never going to be a good post wls choice. 

Wait until you reach goal - and then have real pasta - a small portion - on the odd occasion.

Also - read more on these boards.  If you are asking about pasta then in my opinion you need to read more about success - honeymoon periods - what to look for in food etc etc.  Read the regrets forum - the failed wls forum - doesn't matter if they are old posts - they are still relevant.  I read so much preparing for this surgery that I KNEW what to expect.  I did not eat high carbs - pasta and bread etc - I knew to eat protein first - I knew I might stall at some point ( I never did) so I was prepared for what might happen.

We all want you to be successful - eating pasta will not help you reach your goals and dreams

Insert Fitness
on 1/30/17 6:19 am

All of this. ^

Im still early days, but to me, one of the main points of this surgery has been to disrupt my disordered eating habits. Use the honeymoon period not only to lose weight quickly, but to build new behaviours, and eating patterns. 

In addition, a lot of the "wls version" of unhealthy foods are triggering for a lot of people. For example, I know I can't have protein bars. They would trigger cravings for more bars, more treats, and carbs in general. Same with crackers. Maybe some day, but not anytime soon. 

I would suggest spending time logging your food, and being honest about the motivations behind your choices. You'll see patterns, and once you do, you can work on changing them. If you have access to a behaviorist or therapist through your center, use them! If not, even googling behaviour change will be really helpful too!

keep reading and keep posting!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Most Active
Recent Topics