What do you all take for iron and how much

Dundreggen
on 3/7/17 8:55 am - Canada

Hello all,

So my iron is on the low side. I had my first set of bloodwork done but my appointment with TWH isn't until the 23rd

My Ferritin is 28 ug/L. I have just started taking feramax. For those of you who take that brand, do you take one a day or more?

Any suggestions for iron intake? I did just buy a 1/4 of a cow and a Sous vide :D so that should help moving forward dietary wise.

I would like to avoid a transfusion if possible, those sound unpleasant. But if it is required so be it, but I would like to avoid future ones as well.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Tracks
on 3/7/17 11:45 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I've had iron issues for a few years (pre-surgery). I started using the patches in December. I couldn't stand taking any more pills. They were so hard on my stomach and digestive system.

I haven't had my iron checked since. My 3 month appointment is at end of April. I will find out my numbers then. They checked my hemoglobin before surgery (so surprised they didn't check iron) and it was higher than it has been for a very long time.

I'm really hoping to have good numbers using the patches. So much easier!!

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Dundreggen
on 3/7/17 12:00 pm - Canada

Which patches and where do you get them? At the moment I have no issues with the feramax pills bothering my pouch etc.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Tracks
on 3/7/17 3:02 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

When last tested, my ferratin was 7, so the hematologist had me taking extra large doses and my stomach was not happy. His solution was to take more!

I got my patches from patchmd (they advertise on here sometimes). I was lucky enough to get my order in before Christmas when they had a 40% off code. They are in the US so the exchange sucks.

I'm using the Calcium/D3, Multivitamin and Iron patches. They auto-ship every month. With the discount, exchange and shipping it works out to be about $65/month. The Feramax I was taking before cost more than that alone.

I think there is a OH forum discount (maybe 35%??). If you search you can find the coupon code.

I am really hoping my blood work comes back good. These patches are so convenient. My routine is put my deodorant on, put my patches on. I can let you know after my next blood tests how it's going.

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Dundreggen
on 3/7/17 3:17 pm - Canada

Please do! I would love to be armed with as many options as possible. I hope they come back great as that does sound easy.

So far 80 pounds lost!

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/17 2:32 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

My ferritin was down to 10 a month ago and that was after being on Feramax x 3 for 3 months then Proferrin x 3 for 6 months and it still kept dropping. I ordered Feosol Complete from the US and don't have my labs back yet as they are not being done for another month but in the past week after only being on them for 3 weeks, I feel the best I have in 6 months. I will be anxious to see if my numbers have gone up since it's the first time I feel decent in months. A year ago April my ferritin was 30 and it just kept dropping regardless of what iron I took even though I was on the max.

Dundreggen
on 3/7/17 2:46 pm - Canada

Here is hoping for you. Dang that is a lot of feramax, that stuff isn't cheap. I hope I respond better that you have to the feramax, but if not options are appreciated!

So far 80 pounds lost!

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/17 4:00 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I was paying $112 per month for Proferrin and I think Feramax was about $90 per month. This new one cost me about $25 per month and it is a once per day pill so I am anxious to get my blood work next month to see if it is in fact helping but from my symptoms, I would say it has to be. A friend uses the patches and she is due to get her results in a few weeks so I am going to see how hers are and if this doesn't work I may try the patches if she has good results.

northernga1
on 3/9/17 5:21 am, edited 3/8/17 9:21 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

I take the generic of feramax my ferritin is between 36-50 and hemoglobin is between 125-136 it goes up and down depending on how compliant i am in taking my feramax 3 times a day. For best absorption post bariatric surgery we should be opening the capsule and dissolving the powder into a hot liquid or foods. I take 1 in the morning i open the capsule into my yogurt and mix. I have a protein shake i open the capsule into the shake, and i have a tea at night time i open it up and dissolve. It will dissolve best in warm liquids like coffee or tea. The powder is absolutely flavourless it will just make your food / liquids really dark brown but it has no taste at all. I would suggest you ask to see a hemotologist if you are concerned about your iron. Also be a good idea to see a gynocologist if you have heavy menstrual bleeding with your cycles. Iron will continue to be an issue now for life. if you dont get it under control now it will only get worse as time goes on if you dont take proper iron or deal with the heavy bleeding. The generic of feramax i buy is much cheaper then at the pharmacy https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GG15UM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for more information on iron deficiency after bariatric surgery please take a look at this website. Leona is an expert in this field and is a baratric patient herself.

http://theironmaiden.ca/

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/17 5:31 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Most Active
Recent Topics