Hi, everyone! It's been a while.....

Kat1313
on 5/11/13 10:53 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hello, everyone

I haven't posted in quite a while.  I think the last time was when I was preop trying to make up my mind if it was worthwhile to have WLS surgery at the ripe old age of 63.  A number of you were kind enough to share your thoughts and were very encouraging.

I finally made up my mind and had RNY on 4/8/13.  I have been so very fortunate - absolutely no complications, problems or difficulties with food.  My only difficulty was finding a protein drink that I could tolerate - tried many different powders and ready to drink shakes, all of which were just nasty - thick, slimy, the protein taste and smell just absolutely gagged me.  I finally found a couple I like - Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel and Strawberry Kiwi.  Thank goodness they are more like Crystal Lite - very light and refreshing.  Not like those nasty "shakes" at all.  So that was like a miracle for me, I was so happy!

So I'm just over 4 weeks out now and things seem to be progressing well.  Have lost about 20 lbs.  Wi**** was more but since I'm really not exercising at all, it's going to be slow.  Hopefully I can get into a water aerobics program at the Y soon, as it will be easier on the old decrepit knees and back.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello again, and to thank all of you who were so kind and encouraging!  Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Kathy

Connie D.
on 5/11/13 12:44 pm

Kathy....how wonderful to hear from you again!!

That is awesome that you had the surgery and are doing so well. Congratulations!!!!

I hope you will hang in here with us and share your progress. We will be happy to help you anyway we can!! Just jump right in anytime. We still have the daily thread every day...usually mornings but anyone can post anytime!! I would love to hear more about your journey!!

Love and hugs....connie d

Kat1313
on 5/12/13 12:36 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hi, Connie

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, it's very nice to hear from you.  I'm so glad this group is here - it does get a little discouraging to read about the 20-somethings who are total gym rats and running marathons......not that 50-somethings don't do those things too, just with a few more aches and pains.

I'll try to check in daily - I'm fairly recently retired (thank goodness!) so my time is my own.

Kathy

poegirl100
on 5/11/13 1:04 pm - Cibolo, TX

Good for you, Kathy!  And welcome back!

I know what you mean about the protein drinks.  I had the same problem.  I finally found one that I could tolerate called Pro Joe.  Once you find one that works for you, it IS a miracle.

We have just joined the "Y" ourselves and I'm looking forward to doing the water aerobics class.  Too bad we can't do it together.  But we can be virtual water aerobic buddies.  Please do keep posting, as Connie said.  We love to make new friends and this group will really help you as you make your journey.

Vickie 

Kat1313
on 5/12/13 12:40 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hello, Vickie

Thank you for your response, it was so nice to hear from you.  I'm looking forward to the water aerobics classes.  The Y closest to me only has an outdoor pool so I'm not sure when their classes will be starting - even here in FL it takes a while for the pool water to warm up.  However, there is another branch of the Y that has an indoor pool.  It's a little farther away but definitely something to look into - I could go to that one year round.

Good luck with your class, please let me know how you like it.

Kathy

carlak
on 5/11/13 9:55 pm - Bradenton, FL

Welcome Back Kathy,

It looks like your right on track! I liost twenty pounds my first month out of surgery. I started out at 267 Lost 60 pounds the first three months. then another eighteen the next till 100 was gone.  Took less than a year.  That was 2002.  I had my plastics a year later. And i shed another 50. Im maintaining around 135 now!!!!!! 

I had my surgery done in Colorado. Decided to move to Florida!!!!! Ive been here six years Live it!!!! I do fly backbto Colorado to see my doc though!!!!!

If you need a buddy to lean in let me know!

carla

Im across the state from you!!!!!

image hosting site

Kat1313
on 5/12/13 12:31 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hi, Carla

Thanks for your response.  You started out exactly where I did, so I'm very glad to see someone else was successful.  I've felt a bit down over the last couple of weeks because the scale just doesn't seem to be moving much, I hope it picks up a bit.  From many other posts I've read I know stalls are part of the process so am trying to just keep going from one day to the next.  I think I need to increase my protein and possibly calories a bit, too.

My mother in law lived in Bradenton for many years before she passed away.  It's a lovely city and I always enjoyed visiting her there.  It's more like the typical "tropical Florida" most people think of than Jacksonville/northeast FL is, and the beaches are just beautiful.

Do you enjoy the FL weather, after coming from Colorado?  I'm from New England and miss the changes in seasons.  It would be nice to see a little snow now and then, but I'm very glad we don't have to shovel it or drive in it.  The summers down here are brutal, though.....now if I could only afford two homes, one up north for the summer/fall and one down here for the winter that would be awesome!

Glad to know I have a WLS buddy here in FL!

Kathy

Patricia R.
on 5/11/13 9:56 pm - Perry, MI

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the Losers' Bench.  So glad you came back.

I understand your problem with protein drinks.  I settled on two different kinds, Isopure Frosted Grape, and AnyWhey.  The Isopure comes in a bottle, and is 40 grams of protein per bottle.  It tastes like grape Kool-Ade.  The AnyWhey is a flavorless powder, which I would mix with chocolate, No Sugar Added Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast and milk.  Tasted just like chocolate milk.  Altogether that drink has 30 grams of protein.  Then, I would blend berries, yogurt, milk and a scoop of AnyWhey, and make a smoothie.  Again, 30 grams.  

Huggles,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Kat1313
on 5/12/13 12:47 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hi, Trish

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, that's very nice of you.  It sounds like you've gotten creative with your protein drinks.  I'll have to try the flavorless mixed with the Carnation Instant Breakfast and milk, that has a lot of protein and would help me get my total protein up to where it should be.  I haven't lost much weight in the past couple of weeks, and I think I may need to increase my protein and up my calories a bit too.  I'm still not able to eat very much at a time, and some days I just sort of forget to eat because I just don't feel hungry.  From what I've read on the various forums that can cause problems with metabolism so I need to start paying more attention!

Am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and I'll try to check in frequently to see how everyone is doing.

Kathy

Judy G.
on 5/12/13 1:35 am - Galion, OH

Hi Kathy!!! And WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH!!!!!!!!! Now...STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once a week is enough!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you want to see the numbers move lower but if you step on it everyday...you will not see it happen and get disgouraged!!! So try it once a week or LESS and the number will show up lower I promise!!!! As for stalls...yeah I had a ton of them on my journey!!!!!!! How I lost my weight is a mystery...LOL Just follow what you are supposed to do and the weight will fall off I promise!!!

Hope you continue to come back in and see us as we are here to help you out if need be!!!

HUGSSSSSSSSSSS

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 393 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1197 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1206 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1140 views