New Here First Post

jaesueray
on 8/24/13 1:51 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

Hello all!  Glad to find this board, I am 52 will be 53 next month.

I am pre op, on my preop diet with surgery on 9/4. I am doing good on the diet.

i am a ball of different emotions, i hear thats normal.

Hope i can squeeze in here with all of you!

Peace and Love to all....Jan

Patricia R.
on 8/24/13 8:31 pm - Perry, MI
Hi and Welcome,
Glad you joined us. We're a living bunch. You're emotions are normal.

Start taking walks to prepare for your post-op walks.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Judy G.
on 8/24/13 11:17 pm - Galion, OH

WELCOME!!! You have come to the BEST board on OH!!!! We will help you in ANY way we can!!! HANG ON ITS A WILD RIDE!!!!!!

CONGRATS on your upcoming NEW life!!!!

HUGSSSSSSSSS

poegirl100
on 8/25/13 1:40 am - Cibolo, TX

Hello Jan and welcome to OFF!  We love having new members join us!  You will see that we post a daily thread.  Please feel free to jump right in.  The more you post, the better we will get to know you and be able to help you as you start your WLS journey.  There's a lot of wisdom to be had here, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.  We'll talk about anything here!

Vickie 

lightswitch
on 8/25/13 2:57 am

Hi Jan and welcome.

Since you have a date, all that's left is for you to stay on the preop diet and we all can tell you that it is doable.  Remember that the preop diet is to make the job easier for the surgeon and safer for you.   Once you lose some of the weight around you liver and spleen, there is a less likely chance that those organs will be nipped during the process.  Also, the preop diet shows you have a commitment but do stay on the diet for your own health.   How much weight are you hoping to lose?  

I started this process out at over 500 pounds but when I had surgery, I weighed 339, I think.  I now weigh, 135 and I'm 5'5" tall.  After I lost the first 100 pounds, I regained an inch in height.  

There are a few things you should begin doing now.  Since I hated processed soups and knew that I was going to be on a full liquid diet, I made homemade chicken, vegetable, and beef broth and froze small baggies in the freezer.  I also made broth ice cubes that made getting my liquid diet pretty easy.  I simply popped a bag or a cube in the microwave and had the soup that was homemade and seasoned to my own taste. I still freeze homemade broth to this day.

I also began stocking up on sugar free popsicles and sugar free jello...they became my go to for snacks and still are my main snack food.  

Begin learning how to keep healthy snacks in the refrigerator so when you can eat solids, you will have the routine down: peel and slice carrots, cut up brococoli and cauliflower, slice celery, and even cut up turnips...they are a life saver for those head hunger moments. 

Start an exercise program...walk.  If you cannot do anything else, walk.   I have not regretted my commitment to exercise.   Yoga, walking, and dancing have kept me healthy and slim.   

Ask questions.  Avoid glider food. and don't let those who have not succeeded pull you down...you will succeed.  

Welcome and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Oh, to the hospital, take slippers, chap stick, lotion, and loose clothing.  

Connie D.
on 8/25/13 4:02 am

Hello Jeannie....so wonderful to see your post!!

I have been really missing you my friend!  I always loved your advice as it is so helpful. I would love to see you here more often!

Love you...HUGS.....connie d

Connie D.
on 8/25/13 3:59 am

Hello Jan and WELCOME to OFF!!!

Everyone has pretty much said it all. I will just say how wonderful it is for you to join us! I look forward to getting to know you and share your journey.

HUGS....connie d

Laureen S.
on 8/27/13 5:56 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Jan,

I'm late to your party, but want to extend a warm welcome, there are many supportive people here.  There are no stupid questions, so ask anything and someone on here is bound to have an answer for you.  Do your part and your "tool" (surgery) will take you to a healthier and hopefully, more engaging life.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

pineview01
on 8/27/13 3:15 pm - Davison, MI

Welcome Jan!  Congratulations on getting your date!  By now you have gotten the preop diet down.  Your surgery will be done soon, so if you have any questions give a yell out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jaesueray
on 8/27/13 8:34 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

Thanks for the welcome everyone! its so good to find this forum.

This time next week i will be at the hospital getting ready for my surgery!!

I have to go at 530 with surgery at 730. Kinda glad it is a early surgery. Less time to worry.

I have been stocking up on post op foods for a month now. Not too much, but a few things

each time i go groc shopping; sfjello, sfpudding in the box and ready to eat in the cup.

ive got some unflavored protein powder and bottled water and some different flavors like

Mio, crystal lite ect. I will probably put my mom to work making chicken broth for me, She

will be coming to be with me and since the normal food is not going to work, she will need

something to do,lol.

Jan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 382 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1181 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1192 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1129 views