Getting ready...

jaesueray
on 9/17/13 8:41 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

For purees! Sunday ends my 2 weeks of full liquids.

I went to the groc. store yesterday and bought  a few things i

thought i might start with. Cans of tuna and chicken, a couple bowls of beef stew to puree,

a couple cups of ready to eat tuna salad, cottage cheese.

i haven't gone back to work yet, i feel like i need to have a couple more days to get my food on track.

A soft scrambled egg sounds like heaven at this point, lol.

Have a good day all!

Jan

lightswitch
on 9/17/13 9:44 pm

Remember, you may not be able eat a lot of dense protein like purreed meat.   Tuna is still difficult for me to eat more than a bite or two.   Beef is difficult too.  Remember to add these pureed foods very cautiously.  

Happy Dance...you are on pureed!

jaesueray
on 9/17/13 9:53 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

Oh wow, didn't consider that. What are some good proteins to begin with?

Laureen S.
on 9/17/13 10:24 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Eggs and soft cheeses are good, as are beans (pureed), greek yogurt (no added sugar). . .  I'm not sure about the ready to eat brand of tuna salad. . .  are you reading your labels, because a lot of the ready to eat stuff has added things that are not good for us to eat.  Not sure which surgery you had (sorry I did not read that), but if you had RNY and are not careful about such things as sugars and fats, you might find yourself having an unpleasant experience, which is sometimes referred to as "Dumping".  That includes things like racing heart, feeling faint, having diareahea. . . .  when I had my surgery, the nutritionist went over things with me and if it has sugar in the first five ingredients, I probably should not be eating it.  If you haven't already, train yourself to read labels and learn the different types of added sugar (as sometimes sugar is masked as something altogether with a different name (corn syrup for instance)).  We, where I had my surgery, were told not to have more than 10 grams of fat in a meal (less is better) and definitely not more than 39 grams per day.  Our sugars were limited to 2 grams in a serving size (very low).  Of course, there is a difference between the natural sugar content and added sugar, but err on the side of caution. . .

Of course, if your surgeon and/or nutritionist gave you guidelines, USE THOSE, but call them if you are unsure of what it is you are supposed to do.  Your success and life depends on doing the right things.

Kind regards, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

poegirl100
on 9/17/13 10:40 pm, edited 9/17/13 10:41 pm - Cibolo, TX

Jan: cottage cheese, refried beans, mashed beans and peas, soft scrambled egg, etc.  I, too, couldn't eat meat for quite some time after surgery.  When I could, baked fish went down the easiest.  Couldn't eat beef or chicken until I was much further out (now it's no problem, but you have to go slowly at first).  With any of the pureed foods, test out your pouch by only eating a small bite or two at first and see how you feel.  Just remember that you will grow and change as time goes along.  What you can't tolerate now, you might be able to tolerate later on.  Just be patient!  And enjoy the WL!

Oh, and don't forget about fiber!  Be sure and eat pureed fruit and veggies, too!

Vickie 

Connie D.
on 9/18/13 1:09 am

Jan...everyone has given you great ideas. I just have to tell you  that the first puree food I ate was re-fried beans....I just craved them and still do!! What a treat that was. I went from the clinic right to Taco Bell. My surgeon approved! I never enjoyed anything as much as I did those beans that day! That little bowl was 4 servings...LOL

I had problems with eggs for the first 3 years out. The same with white meat chicken.

Take your time going back to work...you will know when you are ready!

Love and hugs...connie d

jaesueray
on 9/18/13 1:21 am
RNY on 09/04/13

Thanks for the ideas and information guys. I sent my Dietician an email

an asked about fats and sugars for the puree foods.

That should get me off to a better start. I have eggs, refried beans, cottage cheese...so im good to go.

Thanks

Jan

Eileen Briesch
on 9/18/13 5:39 am - Evansville, IN

Some people have problems with whole eggs right away; might want to try Egg Beaters first time out (it's just the egg whites). A little less fat content and easier on the pouch.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

lightswitch
on 9/18/13 9:43 am

I would add to all the other very good advice from our family here to try some cream of wheat.  When I was able to eat it, I made one package in a little extra water and I added some protein powder to it instead of adding sugar or milk   It was an easy way for me to get my protein in and the cream of wheat gave me some energy.  

Splenda is the only sugar substitute that I can tolerate...the others make me hurl like a insane woman.  

As far as protein...beans like Vickie said and peas are the best source of protein and the best for you...blend them up and add bean juice till they are just right.   

Meat is so tricky and you will find those foods that you can tolerate...eggs are easy for me if they are cooked soft as in soft scrambled etc.   I can eat a boiled egg that has been squished up.   

I am so excited for you.

pineview01
on 9/18/13 1:50 pm - Davison, MI

I can't tell you how great that first bite of cottage cheese tasted.  I didn't do well with the eggs at first.  I learned to make them very moist with cheese and a tad of milk mixed in.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 383 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1183 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1193 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1129 views