Dumping

cjd3161
on 10/28/13 3:50 am - TX
I'm so afraid of dumping that I'm almost scared to eat or take anything....Im 2 weeks post op and now questioning my vitamins that I'm starting, is Caltrate calcium & vit D ok they have 1 gm sugar and 2 carbs, My multi vit is from GNC has no sugar but 7 carbs are both of these ok? Dumping is my biggest fear and I'm afraid that I'll miss lots of protein worrying about this.
Connie D.
on 10/28/13 6:43 am

You didn't say what kind of surgery you had...that makes a difference.

I had RNY....we are only allowed Calcium Citrate...no Caltrate. We absorb Citrate better. I buy chewable citrate with vitamin D.

The amount of carbs seems to be okay. You shouldn't dump on that. We tend to dump with too much sugar and not chewing our bites enough. Too big of bites isn't good by any means.

Do as your doctor advised. Did you follow up with a Nutritionist as well? They will be the most helpful as they know you better. They know what is allowed and not allowed!

I remember being afraid at first. We had support groups and coffee groups that we went to. All our questions were answered there. We will be glad to help you as we can.

DON'T be afraid....take it slow....you must eat as your doctor advised. Remember to chew, chew, chew. Although you are probably only on soft foods now.  Also be sure you are getting enough water in.

Wish I could help you more. I just am not sure which surgery you had.

Hope I helped a little...HUGS....connie d

cjd3161
on 10/28/13 8:14 am - TX
I had the RNY as well, oh my I guess I got the citrate and caltrate mixed up. I guess I'll need to buy more. Thanks so much for your help.
annette R.
on 10/28/13 10:00 pm - ithaca, NY

Relax, there is so much to learn and remember. Eventually it becomes routine.

I found that for me, 10 grams of sugar was okay. Sure you have to consider fat and carbs too but each body reacts in an individual manner.

Eat your protein first, get in plenty of fluids and keep asking questions. We'll help.

Annette 

Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

lightswitch
on 10/29/13 10:11 am

I agree with Annette.   One of the things you will learn is to try new foods at home.   Chew your food well, drink your water, and avoid the sweets and you should be fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 397 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1198 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1207 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1143 views