Sunday, Sunday!!

Mary Gee
on 1/18/14 10:09 pm

Well, my first time starting the daily thread!  Good Day to all my friends!

I'm actually working hard at getting back into a "normal" sleeping routine.  When I first stopped working three years ago (can't believe it has been that long!) I still got up early, around 6:00 or 7:00.  Now, I'm getting up at 10:00.  Not good.  I feel like I'm sleeping my life away.  During the past two weeks I was actually late for two early medical appointments.  My daughter and I used to joke about how even when we were late, we'd be early -- always arriving at least 20 minutes ahead of schedule.  

I think it's a combination of things.....Getting lazy if no specific appointment to make; boredom; depression; staying up way too late (sometimes until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.); maybe sleep apnea; maybe my heart condition.  

I wake up several times a night, so now, when I wake anytime after 5:00 a.m. - I force myself to get up, make a cup of tea, and start the day.  I'm not taking any naps and I'm getting to bed by midnight.  I try to make sure I go out 3-4 times a week.  I've basically become "homebound" - again, being lazy.  So now one day I'll take the trash to the dump, another day I'll go to the grocery store to pick up a few things, going to my daughter's on the weekend, etc.  I feel so much better when I get out and about - it lifts my spirits.  I plan on getting back in touch with some friends I haven't seen for a while.  Got to get myself moving.  

I'm having this surgery so I'll not only be healthier, but also I want to be more active.  

Thanks for listening.  Sometimes I think I should go to therapy, but I tried it a few times in the past without much success.  I know what I have to do -- I just have to push myself to do it.  Also, I've got to take off my "Woe Is Me" cap, and put on my "Positive Thinking" cap.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Mary

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Judy G.
on 1/18/14 10:48 pm - Galion, OH

Morning Mary and OFF family yet to come in!!!

Mary is there a support group in your area??? If there IS join it now!!! Back In Michigan I used to have one I went to and LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!! Now in Ohio I have not found one yet...I have tried looking but all are over an hours drive and I am not familiar with all these back road areas....sighs...but find yourself a support group and GO!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Not much happening here...cold and more snow...blah!!!!!

Still no word my friends daughters cause of death yet. All I know right now the funeral will be on the 27th. She is a basket case and so is the husband. I am depressed over all the deaths lately. Sad.

Need to figure out what to have for supper tonight. Might have to take a trip t the store...I am thinking Rick wants stuffed pork chops.

Tomorrow I am calling the office and DEMANING them to teach me how to do my job on the PC!!!!!!!!!! My RECERTS are piling up and I have no idea how to do them!!!!!!!!!! Those women telling me they will call me back and not doing it has gone on long enough!!!!!!!!!

Well time to get dressed and see what to do...

Thoughts and Prayers for ALL that need them!!!

HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

lightswitch
on 1/18/14 10:56 pm, edited 1/18/14 10:57 pm

I remember before I started back to school and how easy it was to not even look outside.  In part, that was the reason for starting school, and also I wanted to go back to work and my back was shot so I had to change careers.  Anyway, during that last year or two that I was "homebound", I knew I had to get myself ready for walking further than I was walking and being around people.   I wrote in my journal "I will make myself leave the house at least three times a week.   I hate to do it but I will die if I don't."   So, I began working at leaving the house.   Set goals.  Choose how many times and for how long you are going to leave your comfort zone.   

Here are some suggestions;

Walk at the mall with the early bird walkers.   They will  pay you no mind; you will be inside; you can walk as slowly or quickly as you are able and as far.   I started walking from the car to the first bench in the mall and I sat and watched everyone march around and I imagined things about them.  It took me a month to go all the way around the mall.   

Volunteer at either an elementary school or library or nursing home.   I volunteered at a preschool and I helped by washing dishes, helping the kids brush their teeth, reading stories, and doing art projects.   I began doing it one hour every day and by the time I was ready for graduate school, I was spending three half days a week reading and doing art with the little ones and they still remember me.  One of the boys is the same age as my grandson and he says, remember the butterfly egg your nana brought to the day care and over time we watched it develop?  He added that he still has the picture of the changing butterfly that we did as art.  

Finally, pick one thing that you really like...if it is sitting in the early morning drinking tea, watching the sun go down, or watching the ducks swim on the lake and make that another one of those making yourself get out things.  

I guess what I am saying is get active and scheduled now because your success with weightless depends upon keeping your word to yourself through will power and movement.   You gotta do it.

Patricia R.
on 1/18/14 11:00 pm - Perry, MI

Good Morning Mary and OFF Family to follow,

Mary, good for you for starting the thread.  I've also been retired a little over three years ago, and struggle to wake up on time sometimes.  

Today, I overslept, again.  Then, when I went to take a shower, my ho****er heater had clicked off.  Trent told me about a button to push, so I'm waiting for the water to heat up.  I'll be late for church, but in time for Sunday School, when I get to play with the babies in the nursery.  

I found a bargain at the shoe store yesterday.  A pair of Birkenstock shoes, not sandals, for $70.  It's almost impossible to find a pair of shoes for less than $100.  Understand, the Birkis I have, I've had for about 10 years.  They last forever, and are the most comfortable.  They have built in orthotics.  I have flat feet, so they help me tremendously.

After we shopped, I treated Colleen and the kids to lunch.  We went to Burger King, where I had a salad.  The kids loved wearing the crowns.  I normally get the kids the meals with the toys, but the toys were Pac Man, and they don't know who he is.  So, I made sure they got the crowns.

On the way home, I checked out the YMCA.  They let me walk around.  I was impressed.  It's much nicer than the one back in PA.  I can't wait to join on the 1st.  

Today will be a day of cleaning.  I have a sink full of dirty dishes, and a ton of tidying to do.

Hugs and Prayers for All.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Connie D.
on 1/18/14 11:30 pm

Good morning Mary and everyone...

Just a quick hello...my daughter,Carrie and my grandson, Lucas spent the night. We will be having breakfast now. Later we are going over to Kyleigh's as her mom, Carrie hasn't seen her apartment yet. 

I will check in after they leave an reply then.

Love and hugs to all.....connie d

Cindy P.
on 1/19/14 4:38 am

Hi All:

We've been laying low since Friday evening.  Hubby has surgery to remove his kidney stone.  He did really well although he was in a lot of pain Friday night.  Each subsequent day has brought relief from the discomfort.  He has a stent in which we are to remove on Tuesday morning.  I hope that goes OK.

We didn't get home from the valley until evening time on Friday which meant I had to drive mountain curves in the dark.  It was foggy part of the way.  Not my favorite driving conditions -- but we made it OK.

I've got a crock-pot of beans cooking right now so the house smells really good.  Hubby loves these beans so he's looking forward to having them later for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend and that you all have an extra day to enjoy away from the rat-race.

Cindy P.

Patricia R.
on 1/19/14 5:32 am - Perry, MI

Me again.  When I got to church, Colleen and Frankie were sitting outside of the sanctuary.  He's still got a bad cough, so she can't put him in the nursery.  When he saw me, he came to me, took my hand, and pointed to the nursery.  He wanted me to take him in there.  I felt so bad.  He's so used to playing with me in there.  So, Colleen picked him up, and took him around the corner, so I could go in without him seeing me.  He was upset.  Poor kid.  

Not sure if I mentioned it, but right before Christmas, my church had its annual election of people who will serve in certain positions of responsibility.  I was voted on the Nursery Committee, to serve for one year.  That means working with another woman, to make sure both the infant and toddler nurseries have two people in them in them, for both morning worship, and Sunday School.  Plus, one person in the infant nursery for the evening service, and the Wednesday night prayer meeting and children's program.  Olivia, the woman I'm on the committee with, and I met with one of the other women to ask her if we can get together and discuss all of our responsibilities.  

Judy, I'm praying you get through this sad period soon.  I can't imagine how your friend feels.  I know when baby brother died at the age of 40, I didn't dare call Mom to tell her.  I called her dear friend, Sam, who had lost some grown children to cancer.  He went to her house to break the news, and he drove her the two hours to where we lived to arrange the funeral.  I have no idea how she keeps going with both my brothers gone now.  

Connie, I'm so glad your daughters and grandchildren are so close this weekend.  That's awesome.

Mary, I agree with Jeannie on making the effort to take those baby steps to get out there, and go walking at the mall, volunteering in the community, etc.  I was heavily involved in volunteering when I lived in Pennsylvania.  Now, I'm waiting to be interviewed at the zoo, to be a docent, and I'm going to visit the assisted living place here in town, to see if I can help out there.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

carlak
on 1/19/14 5:50 am - Bradenton, FL

Hi

I am watching the broncos play!  It is 13 to 3. I hope the Broncos win! Ive been cooking with my friend. 

Im flying home on Tuesday. Denver has been beautiful.

The weather here is like Florida today!

Carla

image hosting site

poegirl100
on 1/19/14 11:04 am - Cibolo, TX

Hello sistas!

Just a quick note this evening to let you all know that I think my body has decided to rejoin the land of the living.  Holy crap!  That was a bad virus.  My family all thinks I had food poisoning.  I tend to think I had something like the norvovirus.  Whatever it was, it was BAD.  I won't bore you with all the gory details except to say that I lost SEVEN pounds in 24 hours!  I'm still a little shaky, but I got a little soup down and it's staying put, so maybe I've turned a corner.

Still quite dehydrated, but I'm working on that.  Got a headache, too, but that's small potatoes.

Love you all!

Vickie 

Patricia R.
on 1/19/14 8:10 pm - Perry, MI

Hi Vickie,

I am so glad you are on the mend from your stomach issue.  I'm sure your abdomen is pretty sore.  

I also wanted to mention, I certainly empathize with your wound care issues.  After my leg surgery, two years ago, I had a visiting nurse, three times a week.  She measured and cleaned, and bandaged me up.  I actually took pictures of both wounds.  One was small, the other left a scar, that looks like a light colored divot, about the size of a half dollar.  The visiting nurse came to my apartment for two solid months.  

Hug.

Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 386 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1187 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1195 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1132 views