What should I expect my days be like post BA

Lisa A.
on 4/13/09 10:58 pm
I  am having my BA on April 29 was gonna be April 30 but we moved it up one day to give me a extra day to heal as my hubby is having to  leave to work in alaska first part of may. I just need to know if I am gonna need additional help as I have 6 kids still at  home plus a daughter recovering from a stroke and she needs to be driven to therpy every day. Can I drive right away? How bad is the pain? I had a tummy tuck and the pain was not as bad as I thought it was gonna be but man I was so sick from the genereal tho, I was extremly tired from TT. Any suggestions?  Thanks everyone for their imput.
Hugs
Lisa

gypsywoman6789
on 4/13/09 11:42 pm - Hudson, NH
I don't know anything about recovering from BA but just based on what you have said, I say you need to enlist the help of your friends/ neighbors/ family to help you out.  Can you get visiting nurse services for your daughters home care?  And can they also find an agency that can provide her with transportation to therapy each day?  I know when I was caring for my mother we took advantage of every service available b/c I was working full time and had 2 little ones at home.  We had a visiting nurse that came once a week and a lna that came every otehr day to help her with showering etc.  There was a shuttle service offered by one of the local health care agencies that would pick her up and take her to her appts (when she was a bit more self sufficient).  And I don't know what age your kids are but enlist the help of the older ones whereever you can.

Best of luck with your surgery and sending positive vibes your way that your daughter has a swift recovery from her stroke.

Caroline
not_quite_Barbie
on 4/13/09 11:49 pm
I am two weeks out from my BA and TT.  The girls hurt a lot more than the TT in my opinion. My implants are under the muscle and the streaching of the muscle feels like you worked out really hard and every movement causes it to hurt worst. You'll be amazed how much you use your pecs for things - like wiping the countertops or steering the car.

Can you do it? Depends on how tough you want to be. People have been known to walk on broken legs when they had to. I would suggest you get someone to take your daughter to therapy for a couple of days, and get the older kids prepared to take care of the younger.

Good Luck!
5'4" start weight 233, current 122 lb.
RNY 9/07
TT/BA 3/09
LBL 4/10
Susan S.
on 4/14/09 2:04 am - Roselle, NJ
 I had BA and brachioplasty - and compared to the LBL and to the subsequent medial thigh lift - the BA was a breeze - now there is pain - and the comment about using your pecs is true - but it didn't hinder me in any way - even with my arms involved I was able to drive two days postop......and the arms were a much bigger deal.  People deal with pain very differently.....I had no functional issues to speak of.....as long as you don't have to do any heavy lifting - you should be fine.......I had people stay with me 24 hours post LBL and brachio /boobs - and frankly - I was up feeding my parrots (I have 8!!!) and getting my dogs out after both while my 'help' slept.   Post medical thigh lift I was on my own - had a drive home of course but nobody stayed...and I was fine.......Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/09 7:03 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Susan, you are superwoman.........
I must be a wimp.......I didn't cook after for my arms until about day 6 and no way I could drive at day 2!  I still can't stretch my arms full distance and it's day 18.  But I did do laundry on day 5 or 6  :-)

Ruth

malynn
on 4/14/09 10:30 am
I had BA last year in April and I had it done on a Friday and was back at work on Tuesday.  I had my daughter, 2 yrs old at the time, stay with my mom until that Monday afternoon.  I drove to work on Tuesday but definitely felt like I probably shouldn't have.  I definitely took my pain meds and rested all weekend.  I was able to shower on Saturday night.  Since you have children that need care, I would definitely get help or if they are older have them help because you will NOT be able to lift anything.  I could not even put my daughter in the tub by myself for at least a week or two after.
Most Active