Anyone Arms and Tummy same time?

Mary Ellen S.
on 4/14/09 11:45 am - East Central, IL

Getting ready for plastics next month and have had two consults so far.  One doc will do both my arms and tummy together but other says it's not safe.  Am I wrong to go with the one who will do both at the same time?  Anyone had success with both of these procedures done together?  He would be doing the Fleur des lis TT (or inverted T) along with the Brachioplasty.  So it is a big part of my body affected.  I want to do both of my major areas at the same time but wondered how this would affect my recovery time.  Love to hear any and all advice.

M.E.

whisperingliz
on 4/14/09 11:48 am - paramount, CA
I had a full tt with brachio at the same time. It wasnt that bad as I had imagined, just take your pain medication.  :)
Wendy_Canada
on 4/14/09 4:05 pm - Canada
I am having my TT( fleur des lis ) and breast lift done June 29th.  When i asked  him to do my arms at the same time he said no because with the surgery i was already having i would be out 5-6 hours  and that was long enough for me to be under medication and a long enough day for him.  He said you don't want a tired surgeon working on you.  How can I argue that one.

So i am going back September for my arms.

Good Luck with your decission

Wendy

DEBI R.
on 4/14/09 9:38 pm, edited 4/14/09 9:40 pm - CORSICANA, TX
A week ago today I had a LBL with anchor cut and Brachioplasty both done and I can honestly say it wasn't bad at all.

I thought I wouldn't be able to use my arms for days but was using them right out of surgery. The worse part was the drains in my arms and I got those out Monday. I've only taken 2 pain pills since I left the hospital Thursday and that was to help me sleep.

On a scale of 1-10 I would say the pain was about a 2 if that. Debi

EDITED: I forgot to say I had 15 lbs of skin removed

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/09 10:27 pm - OH
I had a mons lift with my brachio and that was not a big deal at all, but I just had a TT with some additional lipo on my one arm and one elbow, and the TT hurt like hell... and I cannot imagine how I would have gotten up and down out of the recliner even with such pain in my belly AND with the pain I had in my arms when they were first done (it was hard enough for a few days while the pain from the arm lipo subsided) becasue I definitely needed my arms to help take teh rpessure off the abdomen getting up and down.  Also, do not underestimate how useless your amrs will be for a couple of weeks.   How much that impacts you depends on how much help you ave doing things, I guess.  Other people have TTs with less pain, though, and having both done wasn't a big deal.  Personally, however, I wouldn't take the chance, especially if something were to go wrong and (like me) you ended up with the TT incision breaking down... it would be hard to clean and pack the wound yourself with your arms all swollen, limited, and sore.  No, it doesn't happen often., but SOMEONE has to make up the statistics of when it DOES. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mary Ellen S.
on 4/14/09 11:29 pm - East Central, IL
Thank you for everyone's replies.  Sounds like point of views vary.  Those of you who had multiple surgeries did you go home with a pain pump or just pills?  My biggest problem is my window of time to have surgery is so limited because we own a home business.  If I am going to have things done I only have one small 3 month window i(so no time for two seperate surgeries) n the summer before we get busy again, so If I do not have mulitiple surgeries I can only have one a year and I really need to do two this summer and finish with 2 next summer.  So I am opting for arms and tummy this summer and breasts and thighs next.  Thanks again for your thoughts.

M.E.
malynn
on 4/15/09 1:17 am
I asked my ps about this yesterday and his comment was if you do your arms and stomach or breast and stomach at the same time then how are you going to get up or down.  I had ba last year and my arms were extremely sore.  I am having tt on monday and I asked if he would fix something from my ba and he said not a good idea.  With your arms and pecs sore how are you going to lift yourself out of bed with your incision on your stomach and on your breast area.
Mary Ellen S.
on 4/15/09 1:33 am - East Central, IL
Good Question.  Something to consider!

M.E.
mnlisad
on 4/15/09 1:59 am - Rochester, MN
Hi Mary Ellen,
I had a full LBL and brachioplasty at the same time.  Didn't have a pain pump, just pain pills after my hospitalization.  I think I was distracted by the abdominal discomfort that the arms didn't bother me so much...!  Actually, I didn't have much pain/discomfort in the arms..and really..after the first week the abdomen wasn't so bad either..sore yes..and had to move slowly..but kinda what I expected..  I think I expected worse, so I wasn't taken off gaurd!  I do think everyone is different, but for me having both procedures done at one time was great.  I can't believe it's been 8 months ago--I'm so thrilled with my results!  Going for BL/BA/medial thigh lift at the end of May--round 2!! 

Duodenal Switch 4/25/06
Pre op weight: 368
Day of surgery: 345
Current weight: 156
9/08--176# Lower body lift and brachioplasty--now 156#!
4/09 Medial thigh lift/thighplasty and BA/mastopexy! 

tazfan
on 4/15/09 12:22 pm
I had tt and arms done together 4 years ago.  I spent 1 night in the surgery center, any tt stays the night with my surgeon.  The only time I was in pain during the first week was when I would ly down or sit up, stand up or sit down because for all of those movements you need both stomach and arm muscles.  Once I was either up or down the pain was gone, just painful during the actual motion.  I did not have any drains in my arms and had the 3 tummy drains out within 9 days.  I returned to work after 2 weeks with limited lifting for 6 weeks then back to full duty.  I would do them together again.
Good luck
Most Active