Blood Loss during surgery

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/09 7:57 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi,
I'm curious.......did anyone have any issues with blood loss during their Lower Body Lift??
It's such a big operation - I'm wondering how many folks had to receive blood during/after their procedure.

Thanks for sharing!!!
Ruth
akers123
on 4/13/09 8:36 am - Charlotte Hall, MD
I did not have to Ruth.  I know my doctor said if its much over 6 hours sometimes a transfusion is necessary, but he doesn't look to do to many surgeries over 6 hours for that reason.
Kristi Akers
Gastric Bypass - Feb 6, 2004
Lower Body Lift - Feb 25, 2009
Breast Lift/Lipo - Dec 7, 2009
Upper Body Lift/Arms - Feb 23, 2011

droth
on 4/13/09 9:25 am
Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones that needed a blood transfusion.  I needed 2 units.  No big deal - I didn't even feel different.  Doctor said that my labs were off, not by much - but enough that he felt better that I should have a transfusion.

cleos_mom
on 4/13/09 9:38 am - phila., PA
I didn't need one
Danielle H.
on 4/13/09 9:59 am - Atlanta, GA
Nope, didn't need one in fact my PS told the anthesia guy his numbers had to be off cause there was so little blood loss!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

Melissa M.
on 4/13/09 12:19 pm - Seabrook, TX
I donated my own blood before my scheduled surgery.  I have iron infusions on a regular basis and the surgeon thought it was best to have it available should I need it. 
BigCityGirl
on 4/13/09 2:10 pm - San Diego, CA
My surgeon told me he could not remember the last time he did a transfusion on a patient.  I know it happens but I don't think it's common.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
totalfreedom
on 4/13/09 2:50 pm - Northern CA

Hi Ruth,

My surgery went for 7.5 hrs.  I had donated 2 units of my own blood just in case.  I didn't lose blood during surgery, but I guess my labs showed I was low on day 2, so my DR ordered me to get the two units of my own blood transfused.  I didn't feel any different,...... HOWEVER,  I didn't for the life of me understand why the nurse didn't give me oral pain meds while I was given the transfusion.  She said she didn't think it was a good idea that I receive the blood and the morphine at the same time.  So she replaced my morphine drip with me getting my blood.  She told me if i felt pain to let her know.  Well, after 3.5 hrs of no morphine I was like "give me my drugs back." 

Anyway to make a long story short, if the nurse says something that doesn't make sense, CALL THE DOCTOR.  I am way to nice and didn't know what to expect.  I certainly learned in the hospital, unfortunately, that I had to retrain each staff change on the routine, what the dr wanted them to do, call them to remind them...... blah, blah, blah. I think I had a rough time because it wasn't the usual nursing staff being over the holidays and all.  Kathy S said her experience with the hospital staff was great. 

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

cbhjr98
on 4/14/09 12:29 am
I was under for just over 6 hrs and lost 4 pints of blood. My numbers were in the grey zone where I could have needed blood but didnt' HAVE to have it. Because I lived so far from the surgery suite I didnt donate my own blood. Mostly because of my preference not wanting someone elses blood or taking that chance, I didn't have a transfusion even though my numbers were low. They started me on a higher iron supplement and I am on a much stronger "bed rest, you're week and need to rebuild red blood cell count" order...

I'm sure if I got a transfusion I'd feel much better, but to me i'd rather let my body recover on it's own than take a chance with the transfusions (since I'm in germany, although I know they screen their blood even more than the states - lol... i'm still paranoid).

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/09 1:44 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I'm with you, I'll do anything to avoid taking blood.

What are you doing to increase your blood count?  I'm just starting to research what I can do to build my levels pre-surgery.
Thanks!
Most Active