another swelling question?

2kristie
on 4/15/09 4:38 am - , MO
So, I am 6 weeks post op TT and have seen a huge improvement on swelling from day one however I still have a swell like I am about 3-4 months pregnant only its a little more narrow then usual but I still have numbness and swelling in my hips and upper thighs...IS THIS NORMAL?? 

I know there is plenty of swelling involved but am I on track w/ it going away?  I dont want to expect too much.  Oh, I do not have any pain or crazy stuff going on...feel real good just still pretty swollen.  Thoughts?? 
Tee M.
on 4/15/09 5:42 am - CT
Swelling will keep occuring intermittently for several more months (some people can have it for up to a year).  Numbness is different for everyone.  Im 6 weeks and the area between the belly button and incision is still completely numb.  I saw the doctor friday and it said it could stay that way for a very long time.  Everyone is different, but it is not unusual.

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

Kelly V.
on 4/15/09 6:35 am - Galion, OH
I am 5 weeks out today and still so swollen I can't wear shoes and even struggle wearing thongs.  I have reduced my carbs and been taking Bromelain and Arnicane and I keep my feet up all day long and nothing is helping.  My feet are starting to turn purple due to the swelling.  I just keep hoping one day I will wake up and it will all be gone.
2kristie
on 4/15/09 6:59 am - , MO
Well, thanks to both of you, I too have been watching my carbs/sodium intake.  I couldnt believe how much sodium is in certain foods.  I also have been taking bromelain/arnica since day one and feel that has really helped.  I tend to hold water normally anyway, like PMS, I can easily put on 5-10 lbs.  of water weight.  I did some searching online and found that garlic and echinacea can help your lymph nodes work and get rid of water and toxins in your body...thats their job.  However, if they are not working, it can lead to edema or swelling in certain areas.  My ankle/feet got really swollen after having my 2nd child and I thought it would never clear...feet up and lots of water. 

I have upped my water and decreased my carbs (started to, its hard) and have been trying to keep off my feet.  I have a toddler so this is not easy.  I just didnt know if I should still look like I am pregnant from the swelling.  It does seem to be better some days then others but I have finally measured and I am up 7 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips.  I would like to wear something besides sweat pants but just can not seem to do it easily. 

Here's to learning patience and self acceptance...

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/09 6:46 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Low sodium? I'd never eat!

Anyway...today was a lovely "low swelling day". Tomorrow is a different story.

When I was getting ready for my TT and LBL I asked the coordinator "Should I bother having tailored clothing?" The answer: Not for at least two months.

She said the swelling will go up, down, up, down...part of the healing process, I suppose.

But hey, it STILL looks better than the tummy/hips I had before!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/09 9:27 pm - OH
Six weeks is very little time when you're talking about a TT or LBL.  You're normal.  (I actually had MORE swelling in my hips and upper thighs than across my abdomen.)  I am 3 months post-op (reverse TT) and still have some days where there is swelling through my mid-section... then it goes away fro a couple of days and then it returns.  The PS said this is completely normal and could go on for several more months but will continue to diminish.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

2kristie
on 4/16/09 3:25 am - , MO
Thanks, I feel a little better not so crazy that I look 4 months pregnant.  I am swollen more today then yesterday and look about 4 months pregnant and was thinking I might look a little worse too cuz I am so short.  I held my kids all out in front too cuz I have such a short torso...geez, if only I could be taller!!!  LOL!!! 

I am really having a hard time w/ less carbs and have developed the grazing habit again from sitting around all day.  It really was from not having an appitite and just wanting crackers cuz they made my tummy feel better.  Then I got diahrrea from the antibiotics and couldnt eat anything w/o it going out.  Then I was PMS for 10 days (normal for me) and just craved crackers and was giving in cuz I was about 3 weeks out and just needed to eat for energy too (PMS zaps my energy too).  Next thing you know I am 6 weeks out and eaten way too many carbs, cant seem to stop and really dont care cuz I havent been released to workout (dont think I can do much anyway since still get swollen and tired after doing normal dishes and other chores).  I will continue to try in hopes of feeling more energy and peace of mind...miss that exercise high and calm I was so used to getting.  

I am going to try a couple of days w/o any binder or girdle just cuz it finally feels good to just have pants on...no crazy thing I have to keep messing w/.  I didnt notice any difference yesterday but did today, however, I did a lot of cleaning and walking/standing yesterday so I think it might be that.  I just want to experiment a little cuz these girdle things are driving me up a wall and the doc said I didnt have to wear them anymore but I was just being safe.  I think I am done.  I will re-evaluate in a month and see how I feel. 

I am just rambling...can you tell I am just dying to talk about this since I dont get to say much to anyone around here...my toddler just keeps asking if my tummy feels better and if I can pick her up.  "I  be gentle w/ your tummy mommy."  I think I will be picking her up a little bit real soon...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/16/09 5:54 am - OH
FWIW, my PS did not give me a binder after my TT, but I used one for a while that I had from having my panniculectomy last year (the additional support felt good for a couple of weeks)... and I did not notice any difference in the amount of swelling with or without the binder... the only difference was that the binder seemed to force the swelling into my hips and thighs and once i stopped using it, the swelling was more evenly distributed in my belly and hips.  But maybe I'm just weird...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

2kristie
on 4/16/09 10:08 am - , MO
Thanks for that info, I think that is what happened to me...pushing lots of swelling into my hips and thighs...I can really tell a difference but now I look really pregnant!!  I wondering if I shouldnt break out the maternity clothes.  I dont know whats worse, wearing fitting clothes so I just look fat or playing up the swollen tummy w/ blousy clothes and actually look pregnant.  I have this shower to go to and its the first "public" thing I have had to do (short of easter) and I am not feeling cute.  I would do the layer thing but I got rid of all my "big" stuff a year ago...except for the maternity stuff...gee, I dont think I can go back to those blousy clothes!! 

Oh, well, we will see if I can stay away from the stress eating and actually see some of the swelling go down and fit into my jeans for Sunday...its a casual baby shower. 

Thanks again...binder is gone for good now. 
Most Active