XP: Stay off scales??

siberiancat
on 5/31/11 8:25 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I'm one week post op from my tummy tuck (Fleur De Leis)  and arm lift.

I haven't been on the scales since the day before surgery.  Lots of IV's, swelling, narcotics, off schedule, not keeping a log of meals since surgery, etc.

I'm drinking lots and trying for 130 gm protein daily for healing.  BM's pretty much back to normal.  Had 2 drains and pain pump taken  out today.  Still have 2 JP's in belly.

When should I get on scales??

I want to be vigilant about any gain - ( I'm not letting any forbidden foods back in and not feeling like I need to reward myself for being in pain - so sticking with plan of protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains)  but don't want to panic about the  gain from surgery and recovery.

You're advice or experience appreciated.  Thanks.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

iisme
on 5/31/11 12:12 pm
Give it time. I had breast recontruction and a tummy tuck last October. I was in the hospital for a week. On the post op instructions I was told to weigh myself daily to make sure I was not gaining weight (fluids) My mom came to help me for three weeks and that first morning home after my shower she told me to get on the scale so she could write it down because I was totally out of it and she was monitoring everything. I nearly cried when I realized I was up 8 pounds. I slowly lost it over the next 10 days. It takes awhile to get all of what was done to you out of your system.
However you are smart for not rewarding yourself with letting forbidden foods back into your diet because you are feeling poorly.  I wouldn't sweat logging too much of anything for the next week or so, I'd just stick with your WLS friendly foods and give yourself time to heal.

10 pounds loss pre-op
OregonGal
on 6/1/11 4:52 am - Beaverton, OR
Sounds like you're doing great, Penny!  I had an extended TT/hernia repair 5 months ago.  Different docs, different advice, I guess.  My doc didn't instruct me to weigh every day (gratefully.)  They did have me weigh at the first post-op appt., and I was at the same weight I started at.  They told me they took 3.5 lbs. of skin, and I though it funny I didn't even see that in the scale.  I took a few weeks to lose all that post surgical fluid, and slowly I saw the water weight come off.

Just keep doing what you're doing and you will too!
Anne

LMF5012
on 6/2/11 4:08 am
Hi! My doc took off 6 pounds of flesh off my belly and 600cc from each arm. I am 14 days out and jumped on the scale today... I am up a 1/2 pound. It does not make sense b/c he took off so much. Stay away from the scale!!!!
siberiancat
on 6/2/11 8:10 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Thanks.  I have resisted getting on the scale.  I still have a couple JP drains and swelling.

I have started logging my food intake and counting protein gms, carb gms, oz fluid and calories.  My thinking is being accountable for intake and then getting on the scales in a couple weeks.

It may be from the surgery recovery - but I'm weak and I feel like I weigh less.  I can't get on regular clothes because of the JP drains and the 12 in*****isions on each arm makes putting on "over the head" tops impossible - at least for now.

Still can't drive and not going anywhere.

I'm not hungry - can't finish a regular Pre-plastic surgery portion.  Yesterday at 8pm I only had 800 calories in and 98 gm protein.  So-- I'm trying to do better today
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

cyndi U.
on 6/4/11 12:56 am - forney, TX
I got on the scale & had lost 15 lbs....I like to have fainted!

Cyndi U
Gastric Bypass, Dr. Daniel Jones, Dallas, 2003
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

Most Active