abdominoplasty hernia repair

cindigirl72
on 6/7/11 4:38 am
Would appreciate any info on the abdominoplasty approach for hernia repair--I have multiple recurrent hernias--two are incisional from a c-section/hysterectomy incision, and my surgeon says that my bypass incision is beginning to herniate as well.

Have read some, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience or information for me.  I am 9 mos out/100lbs down, current wt around 160#.

Christyr2943
on 6/8/11 11:35 am - MD
 I had a ventral hernia repair with tummy tuck/panniculectomy in 2008.  It turned out great!!  After my sleeve I thought I had another hernia, but it turned out to be a seroma.  Prior to reading the CT scan all the docs thought it was  a  hernia as well.  They had prepared me for a major abdominal reconstruction.  They said "since this is your 3rd hernia you are the perfect candidate for this new procedure."  My surgeon is Dr. Conway in Delaware.  He works with Dr. Zabel a plastic surgeon.  They do this new state of the art procedure at Christiana Hospital.  They are partners, and did my surgery 2008, prior to becoming partners, they got together for my surgery.  Apparently they don't just fix/patch your hernia they repair & tighten all your muscles then cover your entire abdomen with a newly formulated mesh.  The surgery sounded great, but required 5 to 7 days in the hospital, so I'm glad I didn't really need it.  My hernia repair is fully intact!!!  Good luck & I hope this helped.

Christy
  before pre-op diet =  327lbs. SW= 312 lbs. CW=214.6 lbs.                      

cindigirl72
on 6/9/11 3:17 am
Thanks.  Just out of curiosity, did your insurance cover the whole procedure, or did you have to pay out of pocket??

Most Active