update - 6 wk post op tissue necrosis progress??

siberiancat
on 7/6/11 5:20 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
You can click on my user name or avitar picture to see my 6 week complication pictures.

Ist picture is of the incision around my belly button
2nd picture is a close up of the "not healing well" part of that incision
3rd picture is of my incisional "open wound" from tissue necrosis

These are not pretty pics - so if you are squemish - don't look.

I am still doing wound irrigation, packing with wet saline gauze twice a day.  I wear compression garments 24/7.  The incision wound has opened more at the top, but is forming good granulation - is "clean".  It is sure slow to heal (I'm not diabetic and have never smoked.)

The belly button incision has always been pink and the top at 12 o'clock has had a black area (more of a scab than dead tissue).  The plastic surgeon told me today to scrub it more in the shower and get the black off.  I just cover it with a 2X2 sterile gauze.

I would think that by 6 weeks - I wouldn't be dealing with the belly button incision not closing up.

I understand the bigger open wound at intersection of vertical and horizontal incisions will take time.  But how much time??

I'm soooo tired of this.  Compression garments during the day and a binder all night.  I try to stay in air conditioning.  Get 100-130 gm protein a day, 100 oz fluid, all vits & supplements.  I'm being really, really good.

On a more positive note - the arms are good.  I wear silicone strips on incisions 24/7 (except in the shower).  I can lift over my head - but getting hangars off top rod in closet still really stretches and burns - of course I'm only 5 ft 1in tall - so that factors in.

I can lift up to 8#, no exercise but walking.  My abdomen feels heavy (still swelling) and hurts by the end of the day.  No pain - I don't take anything.  Still have to gradually stand up "straight" slowly after sitting for more than 30 minutes.  Maybe it is because of this "hole"??

I don't see PS for 3 more weeks, but I've sent him pics and he calls me personally and tells me I'm doing a good job.

That's all for now. 
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Laurieostrom
on 7/6/11 5:53 am
ouch...poor baby!  I'm sorry your going through this, I know it must be incredibly frustrating.  I had just a bit of this problem,  on my TT incisision, sort of in the middle, but by about 8 weeks it was closed up.  However, it was not nearly as bad as yours looks to be.    Hang in there, I'll be wishing you a speedy recovery!
(deactivated member)
on 7/6/11 6:52 am

I KNOW YOU'RE TIRED OF THIS, BUT I DO SEE HEALING FOR SURE...

SAYING PRAYERS FOR YOU...!

avidreader
on 7/6/11 7:53 am - Cary, NC
So hoping you get better quickly!!!

It really does sound like you are doing everything right - even being extra good with the protein, etc.  I hope things improve quickly.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Laura in Texas
on 7/6/11 8:56 am
I'm so sorry you're still having trouble so far out, Penny. It does look like things are improving.

Does necrosis happen more often when an anchor-type incision is made?

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

siberiancat
on 7/6/11 11:26 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
From what I've read and/or heard, tissue necrosis happens more with people who smoke or have circulation problems.  I've never smoked or have circulation problems.

There is a greater chance with an achor cut or any incision with vertical and horizontal intersection.  Extensive plastic surgery with involved muscle work and pulling skin tight can contribute.  Also the condition of the hanging skin.  Morbidly obese people tend not to have the "best" skin due to overstretching (in my case 3 pregnancies of babies 10# or over, several open abdominal surgeries, loss and regain of 100#+ and my age of 61 at time of surgery.)  PS did pull skin tight - but then that was part of the TT.

I was toned, in good shape nutritionally and labs were good.  I was getting extra protein (130gm a day) for a month before surgery.  I guess it just happens some times.

It has made me decide not to go through with thigh/buttock lift.  I would hate for something like this to happen on inner thigh.  Just not going to risk it.

Hope that helps.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

scrappylove
on 7/6/11 9:05 pm
I'm sorry this happened!
I too have some dead tissue but nothing's opened up, just waiting for it to come off per the Dr. Hanging in there- I know how you feel!
btw I had lbl not the t-cut
onederland 09-12-09, 100 lb lost 01-16-10 
1st goal 150 05/26/10. LBL 06-20-11

Lee ~
on 7/6/11 11:34 pm - CA
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I hope that it begins to heal more quickly and that you're back to your normal life routines soon.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active