Polling--Am I ready to start talking???

cindigirl72
on 7/13/11 8:04 am
Hey everyone--just taking a little survey here--I am 10 months out, with only about 15 lbs to go to what I would consider IBW for me.  I am going nuts with my tummy and arm issues.  My Bar Surgeon actually said we could think about doing something around December...(I am wanting to do an abdominoplasty/hernia repair, and also a brachioplasty).  However, he is not a plastic surgeon, and that honestly makes me a little nervous.  I would like to talk to a couple of plastic surgeons about it also before I decide.  Is it too soon for me to start doing that??  How far out were you when you began the process???

mkbeany
on 7/13/11 9:58 am
I had my first appt on the same day as my one year post op appt.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
redbedhead
on 7/13/11 10:54 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
I was 2 years out for my initial consult, but my PS wanted me to be weight stable for at least 6 months pefore he would schedule a procedure.  He said you had better long term results that way. 

Most PS will want you to be at least 3 months  weight stable, most prefer 6 months.

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

mkbeany
on 7/14/11 12:06 am
I should add my first appt was Oct 2010.
My TT is scheduled to take place Aug 8.
So, that was about 10 mos of losing a few more pounds and staying there for a while.
That is what my surgeon wanted me to do.
I have been ~190 since New Years.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Laura in Texas
on 7/14/11 12:50 am
I had my arms done 15 months after my RNY. They were horrible and I could hide everything else with shapewear. I was at goal and knew even if I gained or lost a little, my arms would not change much. Personally, I wanted to wait until later to have my torso work done. Even if a surgeon would have done my tummy and breasts done sooner, I wanted to wait until my weight was stable. I did not want to mess up my results, especially since I was self-pay. Many people have issues with regain between the 2 and 3 year mark. I'm almost 3 years out now and just had a lbl and bl 15 days ago.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cindigirl72
on 7/14/11 2:40 am
Thanks everyone.  I am just so anxious to get everything all taken care of.  I think the arms are to me the most visible and therefore the most bothersome to me.  Like Laura said, you can hide everything else.  I may think about doing that first......

prek-3
on 7/15/11 12:35 pm - Hollywood, FL
Hi Cindigirl,
I was 15 pounds away from goal at the time that I started THINKING about it. I wanted to make sure I had my lifestyle habits well established.  I exercised like crazy for 2 more years,  to see how much I could salvage with exercise. I see a counselor on a regular basis, and when I was finally ready to move on, and accept that I did all I could and stayed stable during that time, then I went back to the surgeon.

I will admit I didn't look at any other surgeon, as this PS had done quite a few patients from my Bariatric dr.s office, and I have a personal friend of mine use him for other procedures and I felt good about him.

I am 4 days out from Lower Body Lift, and I am sooooo happy and excited to finally leave that part of my history behind. My loose skin, was my way of still hiding. It was my bestest buddy for soooo long.

Don't rush, just be ready to being committed, as having Plastics is also a comittment (just like deciding on having WLS).
Prek3
Carmen

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Most Active