Insurance and Plastics question--need advice please

cindigirl72
on 8/4/11 12:10 pm, edited 8/4/11 12:29 pm
Hey-- I am starting the process of looking into plastics and have a question;
    Is there anyone whose insurance paid for their brachioplasty/mastopexy??  If so, what medical indications were given that got you approved??  I have the ugliest arms on the planet, largely because years ago I took alot of steroids and it stretched my skin out horribly, and for some reason, my arms got disproportionately huge.  Over the past few months, I have been noticing lumps all in both my upper arms and breasts surgeon said they are probably cysts, I am seeing my PCP on Monday to get his ideas, then I really want to get in to see a plastic surgeon and get some ideas.
   I also am desperately in need of an abdominoplasty, but I think that will probably be covered, since I also have three big hernias.  (Hope....Pray....Hope....Pray)

Gail S.
on 8/4/11 11:53 pm - New York, NY
I had my brachioplasty two weeks ago. Before the surgery I had two PS consultations. At both, they said the only insurance paid brachioplasty they had ever done was on people who had rashes all over their arms and the side of their bodies. Also, I was told if trying to use rashes as your reason, the insurance co will want to see that surgery is the last choice. That you must have seen your PCP and a dermatologist to treat the rashes and tried powders/creams for a significant amount of time. Maybe bc you have cysts it will be a different story. Good luck and keep me posted!

mkbeany
on 8/5/11 12:05 am
My insurance has approved mastopexy, brachioplasty and TT/Fleur de Lis.

I have lost alot of weight and have much redundant skin.
I only have had skin issues under the panni.
The arms and boobs look god-awful but I have had no rashes or anything.

Approval came easy though...many many photos of me in nothing but a paper thong.

Submitted to insurance company. Approval came in a month for all.
Even my surrgeon was a bit surprised.

I guess you never know what they want and what they will say.

Just gotta try!
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
cindigirl72
on 8/5/11 2:54 am
Wow!!! well congratulations on that!!!  I'm sure you will be very pleased!!  Thanks so much for the help!!

Most Active