Compression garment question

Linda-K
on 11/6/11 8:53 pm - New Port Richey, FL
Quick question I am hoping to get some reassurance.

If any of you have read my recent posts, I got an extended TT with lipo on 10-20-2011 (2.5 wks ago).  A week ago, my surgeon told me to lose the binder and start wearing spanx 24-7.  I tried so many different kinds of compression garments, they ALL hurt like hell.  I mean, I was in tears after 1 hour of wearing the most comfortable one I could find.  I decided to just wear the binder.  By the middle of last week, the binder was beginning to crease and it was also becoming very uncomfortable to wear.  Nothing like a few creases rubbing against your incisions to put you in a foul mood!

I FINALLY found a compression garment that is relatively comfortable.  It's made by Bali and does not have thigh compressions, but it DOES go up all the way to my bra line on top.  Being the constant worrier I am, I now worry that it does not compress me enough!  It says Medium support.  Do you think that is enough?  I don't want to undo all the work the surgeon did by wearing something that does not squeeze me enough!

Any advice gladly received.

Before/Current/DrGoal/MyGoal      279/183/175/155
waitinggame
on 11/6/11 9:31 pm - Bowie, MD
Hello fellow constant worrier!! The way it was described to me is that the compression is to help press the skin to the fascia in order to facilitate the reattachment of them to one another and to prevent fluid buildup between them which could result in a seroma which would then cause delayed healing. I would think medium support would be sufficient to accomplish the pressing together. Also, I'd think that if the support wasn't adequate you'd notice more significant swelling as the day progressed. 

Interested to hear what others say because my doc told me a week and a hal*****hat I didn't need to do support unless I felt I needed it, which some days I do and others I don't. I don't get any swelling in my tummy, just my crotch and lower bac****asionally--what fun.

Have a worry-free day! 

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Linda-K
on 11/6/11 9:55 pm - New Port Richey, FL
Denise

Thanks for the reassurance - you crack me up I have a feeling we are alot alike! 

I see my Dr again on Friday; we'll see what he says.  Hope you have a great Monday as well

Linda

Kitty C
on 11/6/11 10:37 pm, edited 11/6/11 10:37 pm
mkbeany
on 11/7/11 12:28 am, edited 11/7/11 12:28 am
When I was cleared at 3 weeks to dump the binder and switch to a Spanx type garment, my surgeon said it needed to be Firm...not Medium compression. Plus he wants the kind that goes up to the bra and down to the thighs.

Not the most pleasant but vital for readherence of the tissues and for contouring of my waist. So I am compliant with his wishes. Still wearing it even tho' he said I could back off now. Someone at work commented on my new "hourglass figure" the other day.
Hell...I may wear this thing till I die!!

(I went with a Bali also...it was the most comfy. Now I have 4 of them.)
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Linda-K
on 11/7/11 6:06 am - New Port Richey, FL
Turns out you were *sigh* right.  I sigh because I am sitting as I type wearing a torture garment.  I could not get the Bali one-piece garments without ordering them online (I may still do so) I found a Hanes one piece that fits.

When I called my Dr, I spoke with the nurse who said that the garment should "not be able to easily be pulled away from your skin" and it is necessary if you want to get the best results from the procedure.  Well enough said.  I went through the pain and will be paying for the procedures for the next couple of years so I guess some discomfort for another couple of months won't be so bad!

The only good I could come up with is that I decided to have this done in October.  What if I had this done in June?  I live in FLORIDA.  lol

Thanks for the good advice.  Perhaps I just have to get used to this "squeezed" feeling.

mkbeany
on 11/7/11 6:54 am
I complained bitterly at first. Ask anyone who knows me!
Now I'm used to it.
And I must admit my clothes fit better with it on.

Alas...I feel your pain.
But really, why do this big thing and then skimp on recovery. We want the best end result.
To get it, we must dance with the one who brung us!

I hear ya on the weather. That is why I'm doing breasts and arms in Dec.
So I can spend the winter months wrapped up cuz I'm cold all the time anyway!

By the time it warms up here in south Texas...I (well, my arms and boobs) will be ready for my close up.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Kristie S.
on 11/7/11 6:28 am, edited 11/7/11 6:29 am
I got a super sexy 1940s styley girdle from my doctors office.  Its thigh to bra but the thighs aren't tight.    I find it very comfortable actually and I think I look rocking under my clothes.  This is the one I have:  http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/850.html

Though i paid $75 for it at my doc's office.
Kristie

Linda-K
on 11/7/11 6:51 am - New Port Richey, FL
Hi Kristie

Wow $109 is alot to pay for a girdle but I have to say I would GLADLY pay it if my butt looks like the model's does once I put it on :)

Thanks for the info..............

Linda

Most Active