Arm/Breast Lift (no implants) combo

Miss72479
on 11/13/11 12:04 am - new bedford, MA
I am scheduled to have the combo surgery on Nov 29th by Dr Russell Babbit ( Dr Ford ended up leaving his practice.Ill write about that some other time lol GGGRRR). Let's I'll be having the lollipop lift and the reg arm lift.My Dr. doesn't feel he needs to connect the incisions.I have to ask him if he uses the Z plasty incision in the arm pit,as I have heard that is the best one in that area.
Im super excited and WICKED nervous!!!
Please feel free to share advice as far as getting through the post op phase.
Moving right along I have a few questions =0)

Has anyone taken pre/post op plastic surg vitamins (makemeheal.com)? Did you find that they made a difference in your healing processes?

Has anyone worn a compression vest? Those damn things are hard to size right!! smh!!! Either the arms are too small and the bra too big or vice versa.

Has anyone used Wound Be Gone? or silicone strips?

Has anyone had the combo surgery without drains put in? I won't have drains.

Has anyone had their arm lift extended below the elbow? I might.

ummmm I think thats it for now lol thanks for any and all feed back
I'll post pre/post pics and blog a little about my experience as soon as I am up and at it.

Thanks a bunch
Meliss

Miss72479
on 11/13/11 12:13 am - new bedford, MA
OH a few minor details. I go in for my markings on the 28th,the combo cost me$9,600.00,it's done at a surgery center,I'll be wrapped in ace bandages post-op,surgery is scheduled to take about 4-4 1/2hrs,I go under at 7-8am and I have my follow up the very next morning.
LOL WHEW!!! please feel free to ask any questions ;0)

debtfree
on 11/14/11 4:38 am - OK
 Oh and my surgery took 10 hours!  I had a freaking ton of extra skin.  Dr. called the girls "rocks in socks".  Went from a skin full of DDD to a A/B.

190 lbs lost
VSG 07/2008
lower body lift 10/2010
upper body lift 11/2011

kathkeb
on 11/17/11 6:58 am
I had the same procedures last November ---- done at a surgery center -- took about 4 hours -- cost about 9,000 ---

I was told that I would not have drains, but he ended up putting 1 in each armpit.
They were removed in the doctor's office the next day when I went in for a wound check.

I bought a few 'cuddle under' shirts from Ross -- long sleeved, very soft undershirts -- they were a blessing -- I wore one under my bra and clothes -- the arms fit snugly enough to hold my bandages up

You will be healing before you know it!!
My doc suggests his patients eat fresh pineapple the day before surgery -- has enzymes that aid in healing.
Kath

Lizzy25
on 11/13/11 5:51 am
Congrats, I'm jealous you're getting your arms done, that's what I want next year!!! I'm excited for you!!!

I did not take any special vitamins pre or post-op. I already have a vitamin combo worked out for myself. I take a regular multivitamin, vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, biotin, and fish oil capsules. HOWEVER, it is important that you do NOT take vitamin E or fish oil before your surgery or for a few weeks after, because they can cause you to bleed more easily. So I have cut out the fish oil temporarily. The amount of vitamin E in my multi is not excessive so I still take it. Check with your doctor though. If you don't already take vitamins, you can get a good multivitamin. But if you've had any kind of weight loss surgery you probably already take vitamins.

Spending extra money on fancy vitamins formulated specially for surgery is a waste in my opinion. Just stay away from the stuff that's bad for you and eat sensibly. Expensive vitamins just make for expensive pee, cuz you pee out all the extra anyway.

I didn't have a compression vest. I had an enormous ACE bandage type wrap (literally an ACE bandage that was like a foot wide) that my doc had me use for 2 weeks, then he wanted me wearing no support to help my implants drop. But you don't have implants so your situation is different.

I do have silicone strips for my scars but couldn't start using them until my incisions were totally closed and healed, about 6 weeks in my case. They're kind of a pain in the butt after a while. I wear them for a few days on, a few days off. I don't know if they make any difference yet. It's only been 2 months since my surgery. I got mine for $20 at the drugstore. They have super expensive ones available but I went cheaper.

I didn't have drains for my breasts. Haven't had my arms done. But it seems like those surgeries, when done alone, often don't require drains. So if you trust your doc, then I wouldn't worry about it.

My one recommendation is that you be extra vigilant about protein. Up your protein intake a bit now, so that you have more protein stores. Healing tissue trauma like that requires you to eat 20% more protein than you normally require. So be sure you have a good protein drink or good food that you can rely on. Get that extra protein in during your healing process. It's the single best thing (other than rest, of course) that you can do for yourself.

Good luck!
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
debtfree
on 11/14/11 4:37 am - OK
 Hey girl,  I just had the exact surgery 13 days ago.  I went home with no drains.  The arm incision went past the inside of my elbow a bit.  I didn't do any special vitamins ahead of time.  Arm pit does have some discomfort.  I hate the compression garmet.  Its tight in the arms and a little too big in my opinion in the chest.  Today I went and got a sports bra that I can wear with a running compression shirt for when I go the gym because I do not like sweating in this garmet.  Ask to be my friend and you can see my pics so far.

190 lbs lost
VSG 07/2008
lower body lift 10/2010
upper body lift 11/2011

proudauntie
on 11/14/11 11:34 am - Honolulu, HI
My first surgery was a arm lift.  My scar goes from slightly below my elbow, up my arm, through my arm pit and down about 6 inches - I no longer have to shave under my arms!  I had my breast lift at a different time.  I had two drains for the breast lift; none for the arm lift.  I wore no compression garment for the arms.  I wore compression for the breasts for two weeks and then back to a regular bar and haven't had any problem (year ago).  I used everything anyone suggested for scars are my arms and the scars there didn't heal any differently than the ones I used nothing on (my TT).  Hope that helps.  Good luck
ericaFG
on 11/14/11 11:41 am - Cambridge, Canada
For my original arms, I used ACE bandages.  A GIANT pain - the damn things are always coming loose.  This time, they gave me this tube bandage - it came in a big, long roll.  They  cut the right size for me to wear them doubled up (2 layers).  This was MUCH easier and more comfortable.  For the breasts, I just wore a sports bar. After things healed a bit, my dr. had me use "tagederm" bandage squares on each breast, kinda "lifting" them for about a month to make sure they didn't sag as they healed.

I am using silicone on my arm scars this time - I do notice that my scars are not a ropy as they were last time - but they are still wide and raised.  I'm hoping the nicer "texture" will mean the scars will fade and flatten in time.

I had drains in my arms - but they had virtually no output and were pulled in a couple days.  My breasts had some other kind of drain - it didn't have a "bulb".  They pulled it in hospital.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Miss72479
on 11/14/11 12:18 pm - new bedford, MA
 Thank you all SO much for your replies. I really appreciate them :o)
Most Active