Work stuff

sublimate
on 2/13/12 8:41 am - San Jose, CA

So I'm scheduled for a 3/5 surgery including LBL, BA/BL and Nose job.  While they are in there they are fixing a hernia and a deviated septum in my nose, hence part of the surgery is for medical reasons.

I'm concerned about going back to work with a bigger chest, different nose and flat stomach.  I've asked for medical leave, and I am having some medically necessary surgery.. but it might seem like I was lying for my reason for medical leave if I come back looking so different.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Jody ***
on 2/13/12 9:14 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Actually - when I had my BL/BA - I still fit into my "old" bra - they were just perkier and firmer - and people I worked with couldn't tell a difference. 

The nose - just explain the septum.. and "while they were there, had them do a little more". 

Tummy - well, I wore spanx and don't think anyone could tell whether I had a TT or not..

Don't be too concerned about it - if someone comments, just say you've been exercising.

And surgery is surgery... even if the insurance company doesn't want to pay for portions, its still "necessary" in our eyes to complete the journey we started on.

Good luck!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

mkbeany
on 2/13/12 10:45 pm
I told everyone what I was having done.
I have a reputation for being brutally honest.
In my career, I have found it curtails the water cooler talk.
I told everyone about my RNY also.
People will figure it out anyway.
And I did not want to be that person- the one who tries to hide things.

Just not my style.

But that's just me.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
sublimate
on 2/14/12 2:38 am - San Jose, CA
I understand.. more my issue is that I've asked for "medical" leave, but only part of it is medical. They seem to frown on taking too much time off work. I'm worried I will look so different (which is what I want!) that it will be obvious that I had work done, and they will think the medical part is a lie.

3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

loverofcats
on 2/14/12 5:14 am
Well, CA State Disability considers elective surgery "medical" and one is eligible for benefits. The medical part isn't a lie. It isn't exactly life saving treatment, but it is medical.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

sublimate
on 2/14/12 6:44 am - San Jose, CA
Oh I did not know that! Thanks.. that makes me feel much better. I hope that my work doesn't think that I was out just for cosmetic stuff though. I guess there isn't much I can do about that.

waitinggame
on 2/14/12 9:01 am - Bowie, MD

Are you required to provide any documenation to your employer? If so, would your surgeon be willing to provide a carefully worded document speaking about the septum and hernia repair while leaving out mention of the additional procedures? Seems to me if you have to be out for medically-necessary procedures, it really isn't any of their business if you choose to add on another procedure (s) that you will recover from while recovering from the other, unless of course the recovery from the additional procedures add a great amount of time to the time you are off. I've known folks that were off work for a workers' comp issue and during that time had elective procedures done since they had to be off anyway--I don't see how it is much different from your situation.

I also know you can totally dress down the boobs depending on bra, shirt, etc. You could also ease into fashions that reveal your flat stomach gradually instead of just jumping right into form fitting tops and tighter pants. You may not even be able to wear the tighter clothes just to accomodate the initial swelling. Then you could just say you've been working out, etc. as your clothes get tighter or more silohuette enhancing. The nose I can't help you with. If you are going to tell people anything, I'd attribute the change to the septum repair. If someone challenges you about not needing whole nose job just to fix a septum, then I'd just say, "Well, my surgeon doesn't agree or My surgeon thought I needed it for an optimal outcome." And leave it at that. Otherwise, I'd say nothing and let them wonder. I know it does suck to think that people my be talking about you behind your back. Fact is that if they know you and respect you because you are a good worker, they will probably choose to think the best of you, and if they don't they aren't people you want to worry about anyway. I know it is easier said that done, especially in the workplace.

Good luck. I'm sure it will go fine without much hubbub.

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

sublimate
on 2/14/12 3:20 pm - San Jose, CA

Wow Denise, this is fantastic advice and really exactly what I was looking for.. this addresses everything I was worried about.  Wearing bigger baggier clothes to slowly reveal my figure, and saying I had my septum fixed and that's why my nose looks different.  

I can say they had to do a lot of work on my nose to repair it so I had the do cosmetic stuff while they were at it.  I will say I had breathing problems and such.  Honestly though I never knew I had a deviated septum or noticed any issue before!

I also don't have any issues with my hernia either!  But if I can get it covered as medical for those reasons, and get insurance to cover it, then all the better! I already told my boss I was having hernia surgery and some "other things".  He didn't directly ask what I was doing, but he asked me if I was "OK", and then I figured I'd just tell him so he didn't worry.

THANK YOU! YOU ARE THE BEST!

Lee ~
on 2/14/12 11:55 pm - CA
 My boss asked me if I was ok and my response was " yes, thank you for asking".    I had three surgeries, 2008 ankle, 2009 gallbladder, 2010 VSG.  The only one they knew the reason was ankle because I had to work from home for 3 months.  They didn't know the reason for plastics either but since I was terminated while in Mexico, it didn't matter in the end.  Termination after 18 years was office closing, no other reason.

If someone comments on your tummy, you can say, " I know, right? That hernia they removed was HUGE! ". Baggy clothes are all you will want to wear for awhile anyways.  It's winter and sweaters cover a lot!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

sublimate
on 2/15/12 3:20 am - San Jose, CA
Another great idea Lee! Huge Hernia.. love it! You guys rock!

Most Active