Time Frame for Exercise after LBL

Deborah C.
on 4/27/12 9:32 am - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hello,
I had an RNY in Jan 2011 and am down 100 pounds. I am looking in to have a Lower body lift. Here is my question...and I understand it may not be the same for everyone....I am now a Certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor and I was wondering how long I will likely be out of commission after having an LBL? I was super pathetic after my RNY and was in the hospital for four full days!!! The single drain site was SO painful! I am trying not to think about the pain part but would definitelly like to know about the recovery part. I am going to meet my plastic surgeon on Tuesday.

Thank you for any thoughts on this. It is much appreciated!
Take Care,
Deborah

http://awomansjourney.weebly.com
HW: 228
SW: 207
GW:120

j_j_miller
on 4/27/12 1:57 pm
 I have a generic guideline from my Dr of 8 weeks before I can resume exercise. I am sure I could do light exercise like walking or elliptical before that, but I turned lazy and didn't. I am nine weeks out and am going to go to the gym tomorrow for the first time. I think I will be fine doing kick boxing, or Zumba or even step class. The thing that makes me nervous is the strength training aspect. I have a mental picture in my head of doing a push up and having all my arm stitches unravel. I think my insicions are nice and healed, but I am just paranoid. I have been real careful so far and don't want to ruin it now by over doing it. I think my surgeon didn't want me to lift more than 5 pounds for either 6 or 8 weeks. (I forget which) I would think you could get back to your personal trainning sooner than the 8 weeks. I would think if your working with your "regular" clients, probably could get away without demonstrating each activity. Pick exercises they can perform without you participating. 

Jennifer
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 12:32 pm

Having lost weight through diet and exercise, having had a LBL on Feb 2, I would suggest that you do NOTHING for 12 weeks. Trust me, all I have managed to do is delay my healing. I realize that I was "allowed" to exercise earlier, but knowing what I know now, I would have waited (sorry, jen).

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/28/12 12:48 pm
 Steve, did you have problems related to working out?

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 1:07 pm
Sorta, it's hard to explain. Only someone who works out will understand. It's not a Dr S. issue, not at all. It's just me, I pushed too hard, too soon. Dr S is the best, please don't missunderstand. I should have gone slow.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/28/12 1:11 pm
 Dr S is great! I agree. I waited 12 weeks because I was scared to death of having issues! Then I took it slow until I was conditioned back to my Pre-op physical.

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 1:22 pm
Obviously, you have more brains than me. Dr S is the best, like I said, I should have taken it easy. The swim workouts have been fabuluous, but the cardio workouts agrivated my incisions (did I spell that right? LOL)  Like I said, is not a Dr S issue, I love the guy, I just should have been more aware of the consequences of the vibration caused by the cardio, that's all.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/28/12 1:27 pm
 Unfortunately Steve I am not all that bright! I had my arms and initial TT in 2009. I did too much too soon with my right arm because I live alone and had no help after returning from MTY. My scar is bad! It is wide and thick and just plain ugly! Dr S will revise it when I see him in Jan 2013 for my UBL and breast work. I learned the hard way. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/12 1:38 pm
I am having my arms and legs done in Oct/Nov. So, like I said, it's not a DR S issue. You have no idea how gratefull I am that I found you and all ot the others here at OH.com. I had the best surgery buddy in the whole world when I did my LBL. I just think that it's important to say that I should have taken it a little more easy when I got home :). You guys rock!!!
j_j_miller
on 4/29/12 8:32 am
 Oh no,Steve,I am so bummed you are saying 12 weeks. I just set up some sessions at the gym starting Monday. Its been 9 weeks for me. I took it very easy this whole time and I feel like I am pretty healed. I know I am not strong or fit anymore but was hoping to start back at working at that. I have been eating so bad lately that I think mentally I need the gym to help me on the right path. Do you think there is a chance of the insicions opening or getting wider at this point? I am not to nervous about the cardio part, I am more nervous about the strength training days. I have a mental picture of doing a pushup and all my arm insicions opening up. But I think that's me being paranoid. What do you think about me just giving it a try and seeing how it feels. How long for you to notice that you should have waited? Are your scars any worse because of going to soon? I am sure I will have a zillion more questions but I will start with just these. 
Most Active