Newb question about excess skin and goal

rhearob
on 4/30/12 6:37 am - TN
Let me preface by saying that I am going to have my first consult with my plastic surgeon sometim this month after I reach my 75% EBW lost mark.  But I have a quick question for you vets out there.

I started my journey at 343 lbs.  I am down to 224 now and my goal is 171.  I have been overweight since my teenage years.  I have a considerible panni and stretched skin.  In fact the loose skin sometimes moves independent of me and gets folded on itself, particularly when sleeping.  

How much weight did you lose with your excess skin and how did that count toward your goal?  For example, if I reach 171 and lose 15 lbs of excess skin, then I will actually have to put weight on to be in the healthy BMI range.

Did your plastic surgeon give you any idea how much skin was going to be removed?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Havalina
on 4/30/12 6:47 am
I am not sure if I can answer your question exactly:

My goal was 180lbs when I started. The BMI chart says I need to be less than 150 to be a prime weight... However I started at 366lb and I am 5'5. I have been over weight since 1st grade. I am 34. Right now I weigh 199lbs and every dr. I have met said I am way more than ready to have my stomach done. I have a large pannus. Most of my weight was carried there. The doctors have different opinons on how much it weighs but everyone seems to agree on the 20lb range.. We shall see! I don't think I could ever get to 180 let alone 150 without having the skin removed....

I think its a personal choice, some people want to get to the ideal weight before plastics. Some people want to have plastics before they reach that point. One big thing to consider is if you are done losing.. because if you lose more after the skin is removed you may be looking at revisions.

I wish you the best of luck and congrats on your success so far!!
 VSG  Aug 9, 2010 with Dr. Shieh in Fort Myers, FL    
HW 366 Day of Surgery 334
PS: Extended TT, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer to the rear 6/6/2012.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/30/12 6:58 am
 Skin actually weighs a lot less than you might think. I believe if you can get to goal you should. With that being said, I had my first TT after losing the initial 250. I was fully aware I would lose more and need a revision. After approximately 20 lbs my stomach was bad again. If you have the money for a revision and are ok returning to the OR, I say go for it. I was living with chronic back pain from my hanging skin. My pcp was worried since I was living on Naproxen. After removing 19 (stomach and arms with lipo included) I had no more back pain. I wish I could have waited. In the end my cost will be double what others have paid, not to mention my time from work and discomfort. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

rhearob
on 4/30/12 7:33 am - TN
Thanks,

I was planning on waiting until goal so I could start planning.  Definitely not the money for revisions!  I was just wondering if I should adjust my goal, and by how much, so I don't end up having to gain back.

I am glad that helped you so  much.  My only real issue related to my extra skin right now is it waking me up at night.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Iam_with_the_Band
on 4/30/12 8:05 am
 Most consults are free or minimal charge. You could always go for a consult and see if the surgeon can give you some idea of what your skin may weigh. I would take that info divide it by 2 and adjust your final goal by that much. I think most are pretty accurate at estimating. Just an idea.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Jujuvee
on 4/30/12 7:28 am
 I'm 5'10 and  had my plastics at 202 pounds. i am now 192

I am headed for phase 2 plastics in 5 months and am going to try and get into the 180's as my final goal. Great if I do and great if I don't. realistically i am where I want to be and this works for my life.

16.3 was removed but 10 reflected on my scale.

HW 405- Pre op weight 374- Plastics weight 203 Current weight 194

Circumferential lift/Brachioplasty November 8, 2011

16.3 pounds removed.

Revisions + Thighplasty  October 23, 2012

Breast lift- Spring 2013

NoMore B.
on 4/30/12 8:11 am
 I did several consults, and all the surgeons estimated I had about 5-10 pounds of excess skin.  My surgeon removed 8 in round 1 (LBL and arms), and 4 in round 2 (thighs).  The scale moved about 6 total pounds, though, because the skin removed has some fluids in it, and your body will replace some of those.

I would book some consults and see if the surgeons tell you you're ready.  I would focus on a stable weight, more than a "goal" weight.  Some people never get to a certain goal number they have in mind, but your weight loss will stabalize at some point.
Laura in Texas
on 4/30/12 9:55 am
I've lost over 200 pounds. The skin removed from my lbl was about 2 square feet (about an 8 inch strip all around my body) and only weighed about 5 pounds.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

kathkeb
on 4/30/12 12:05 pm
I
My ps removed 3.6 pounds with my tummy tuck.

Skin does not weigh as much as we think or wi**** does once the fat is out of there!

Others have lost more.

My starting weight was 284 and I was at my goal of 155 when I had my tuck.

Good luck
Kath

msnewme
on 5/1/12 12:43 pm - Houston, TX

wow I guess you will all know how bad my panni was - had it removed Nov 11th last year and dr. removed 28 lbs of excess skin - no TT just the panni removal, so I guess it all depends on how bad your excess skin really is. Good luck to you. I don't regret having it removed before goal weight because I had major limitations on exercising. I started at 363 and now weigh 214 - personal goal is 180 - any I lose below that is bonus.

Sharon

Most Active