1st appt with plastic surgeon Panni

melizabeth
on 2/4/13 6:12 am - CA

Hi, this is my first time on this board.  I am 17 months post op RNY.  I have Kaiser insurance that will cover the Panni surgery if approved my the plastic surgeon.  For the past 6 months I have been taking pictures of my rashes with my phone.  Not sure if the doctor will look at them.  I have used multiple creams and rx's.  Kaiser makes you wait until you're 18 months post op before seeing the plastic surgeon.  My appointment is scheduled for February 22.  I am turning 59 next week and would love to get the okay. 

Any tips on what I should say to the plastic surgeon to help convince him?  I need your advice.

Thanks

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

Crazeru
on 2/4/13 4:50 pm

I have Kaiser, but knew that my panni didn't come far enough down for Kaiser to do anything with it.  Good luck.  You may want to ask how much extra it would cause to turn it into a tummy tuck.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Cinn
on 2/8/13 5:08 am - MI

Hi! I just had my first consult with a plastic surgeon! I'm in a similar boat! I have Blue Care Network and they'll only cover the Panni, IF that. I had to lose OVER 100 lbs, and I did. They want documentation of rashes and back pain. By that they mean documentation that I went to a doctor for it. I haven't, I've just been using Gold Bond Powder, Lotrimin spray and tons of Tylenol. The surgeon is submitting the request but it may not get approved until I have six months of this documentation.

Trust me, the surgeon wants your money, it's the insurance company you need to convince!

MackenzieLee
on 2/13/13 10:20 am

Hi there!

I'm nearly 4 years post-op and I am finally looking into getting the Panni done too. I'm in Canada and it's covered through my health plan if it is medically necessary, for the reasons that you described. I've had one consult with a plastic surgeon and having another consult on April 2nd. When I spoke with my doc, I explained the excess skin, the rashes that I get sometimes, backpain and also, because I have an 'apron' over my bellybutton, I get a 'smell' if I'm not EXTREMELY diligent in cleaning my belly button out. That appeared to be enough information for him... not sure what your doctor would need to know given you have pictures and whatnot. I would just express your desire to have the skin removed, not mostly for cosmetic reasons, but to help with these medical issues....

Hope that is helpful. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Most Active