plastics questions

spooky104
on 2/18/13 6:01 am - London, Canada
RNY on 07/26/12

im wondering did anyone get full plastics before having children.. such as thighs, upper arms, breasts, stomach and butt? or did anyone get upper arms, butt and thighs.. have kids then get the stomach and breasts.. im only 27 and am 7 months out i was i guess a bit of a light weight at surgery because i lost 50lbs on my own in the two and half years i waited for surgery so i was 199lbs the day of.. im past my goal of 135lbs im 132lbs currently but now that ive seen my goal id like to go down to 115 - 120lbs .. im only 4 foot 10 inches soo lol anyway i def have a lot of loose skin the only thing that isnt bad are my calfs, forearms and my butt isnt quite as bad as my inner thighs and the rest of me.. i was also wondering did anyway have plastics in less than two years after surgery if u hit your goal weight early.. my friend is getting married in dec 2014 id love to have some plastics done before that since im a bridesmaid and its strapless and i have a lot of breast/armpit skin so even bras makes it look retarded.. im in ontario as well.. but may consider out of country or states if its cheaper.. obv it would be all self pay so i would have to take out a loan or finance somehow.  my stomach skin def affects my exercise it hurts like a ***** when im jumping or running..

also how much if i may ask did some of you pay for plastics and was there financing? can i get a consult a year out? ill be a year the end of july i have been maintaining the last two months.. so im wondering if this is it .. im happy if it is although id like to loose a bit more to give me some wiggle room

Referral Date: Feb 3,2010        Orientation Date: April 7,2011  Guelph
Nurse and Dietitian: July 4, 2011 they canceled my apt cause no one was ava :(
Rescheduled Date: August 24 2011  2nd Apts: October 4 2011
Nutrition Class: March 27 2012    Meet the surgeon: April 17 2012

Colonoscopy: June 4 2012   Surgery: July 26 2012

AlbeeTenshi219
on 2/22/13 1:24 am - MD

Hey, I'm not sure if I can answer all your questions well but I can try to answer some :)

From my experience, once I got to my goal weight (well under actually) my surgeon actually told me it would be a good time to look into plastics consultation, this was when I was about 18 months post VSG for me.  Ask your bariatric surgeon, if he/she thinks its a good idea though, just to  be safe.  

I just had my tummy tuck and arm lift in mid January of this year, so I'm actually on the tail end of recovery right now. I can sympathize with your concerns over having plastics (especially a tummy tuck) before having kids. I have no children myself but I always planned to have some at one point so I struggled with whether or not to do the surgery now or weight.  Only problem was, the excess skin was dragging on my abdomen and causing back pain as well as rashes under where the skin rubbed together.  Also I just turned 23 this week so I'm quite young. The way I reconciled my concerns was that I really need to have this done for my own comfort and I had worked so hard to get here. There is the possibility that a later pregnancy would warp the results of my tummy tuck (but who knows) but chances are I'm not looking to have kids for at least another 6-10 years so until then I'll enjoy having the body I worked hard for. If I have kids and the tummy tuck is "ruined" or whatever, I could always have a revision (although that has its own set of risks and complications with more difficult scarring) or there is a possibility that through genetics and weight/diet management I may be able to keep the results of my tummy tuck after the pregnancy...or at least close to it.  Either way its up to you, that was just my reasoning.

As for getting it done before your friend's wedding, depending on when you decide to go for a consult, you could definitely have it done and begin recovering before 2014. I had my first consults in October 2012 and had my surgeries January 17. I could have had them sooner actually but I wanted to wait til after my graduation in early January. 

As far as how I paid for it, I was fortunate that my insurance covered the panneculectomy portion of the tummy tuck and my surgeon agreed to do the cosmetic portion of it for an extra $2500 and the arms for a total of $5500.  I'm a new college grad and live at home so we did NOT have that sort of money but I was super fortunate that someone took up a collection fund for my surgery and people were generous enough to donate.  The money raised through donations along with money my parents and I saved ourselves was enough to cover my surgery.  All I can say is go on some consultations and get some prices, also don't be afraid to ask about financing plans, I know my surgeon did mention that in some cases they did offer some options for financing.

I hope some of that was helpful. Good luck on this next leg of your journey.

HW/SW/CW/GW
324 /317 /170 /165                       

Laura in Texas
on 2/22/13 2:14 am

I remember Dr. LoMonaco posting here that he does not pull the stomach muscles as tight on someone still planning to have children.

As far as financing goes, yes. Financing is available for plastics. Make sure your credit is good. You may want to get your credit report now and make sure thee is nothing negative on it and if there is, clear it up now before you need the loan for plastics.

Good luck to you!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active