Does PS speed up your Metabolism?

melizabeth
on 3/5/13 11:39 pm - CA

Is it true that ps may speed up your metabolism?  How could that be?  Seems like any surgery would slow your body down especially not being as mobile.  Your thoughts please.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

jeterway
on 3/6/13 12:18 am
I've had several procedures and never noticed any change in metabolism. Actually you have to be careful with food because of exercise restrictions.

melizabeth
on 3/6/13 12:50 am - CA

What do you mean by being careful with food? Do you mean don't eat too much?

Melizabeth

jeterway
on 3/6/13 1:09 am
Correct. We rely on our level of physical activity to balance us out and after these procedures we can't be as active. I have noticed a weight drop but I believed it was due to skin removal, lipo, and reduced swelling.

emelar
on 3/6/13 12:41 am - TX

My doc said that it speeds up the metabolism for about a year, when the body is fully healed.  You may not be moving very much, but your body is very busy repairing muscles and skin and burning calories in the process.

My personal experience, I had a LBL 6 weeks ago.  I got on the scale 2 weeks ago expecting to see a gain from fluid retention.  I was down 2 pounds from my surgery weight.  In the last 2 weeks, I've dropped another 6 pounds.  I feel like I'm eating more than before surgery (I'm not tracking at the moment), but it's primarily protein, which is what your body needs to re-build.  Whether I maintain the loss or not remains to be seen!

melizabeth
on 3/6/13 12:44 am - CA

Will you share with me what you've been eating to get all your protein?  I'm gagging on protein drinks. Any suggestions?

Melizabeth

emelar
on 3/6/13 1:14 am - TX

I'm primarily a carnivore, so eating meat is no hardship to me.  I pretty much eliminated anything but protein.  It was easy...my body was craving protein.  So, meat (beef, pork, chicken), seafood (shrimp, salmon, tuna), lots of Greek yogurt, protein bars (Quest brand), and protein drinks (Premier RTD and Optimum Nutrition HydroWhey), eggs and cheese.  As I get further out, I find I'm naturally cutting back.  The cravings are easing up.  But I'm still keeping my focus on protein.

And, if you haven't been told already, get Colace or Ducolax or some other stool softener.  Between the surgery itself and the pain meds, you're going to need them.

melizabeth
on 3/6/13 2:17 am - CA
How many Doculax tabs did you take everyday?

Melizabeth

emelar
on 3/6/13 2:25 am - TX

3 - it's the maximum recommended dose.

LilSleeved
on 3/6/13 12:31 pm

It only increased my metabolism for about 10 weeks, after that I had to decrease my calories and carbs drastically.  For 8 weeks, I was eating lots of fruit, complex carbs and protein, over 3000 cals a day.  I was eating stuff I hadn't allowed myself to eat for 4 years.  I still lost weight.  He removed 23 lbs of excess skin and I lost 47 lbs in those 10 weeks post op.  I weigh daily and record my weights online.  So I know exactly when I stopped losing and started gaining.  I decreased my calories immediately. 

I did love being able to eat ice cream and cake on my birthday!  AND I still lost weight!

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Most Active