Hospital bed after TT??

Karen O.
on 3/7/13 11:35 am - Erie, PA

I am scheduled for my TT on April 2nd (Wooo Hooo) Just wondering if I should invest in a hospital bed for one month .... I have a recliner and I think I will do just fine with that.  But, I have not had a TT ever ... so I could be naive.  It is very inexpensive to rent a hospital bed for the time I need, but I am not too sure if I really need it.  My family will take 2 days off to help me with what I need, but after that, I am on my own.  Just looking for some input :-)

K a r e n
                    Lap RNY Gastric Bypass JANUARY 26, 2009

emelar
on 3/7/13 1:23 pm - TX

I had a LBL and used my bed and well placed pillows. A hospital bed is probably over-kill, but it can't hurt!

jeterway
on 3/7/13 7:10 pm
I don't think it is needed. I slept in my own bed from the first night. Some extra pillows help for comfort.

ReadyforPlastics
on 3/8/13 12:16 am

My surgeon actually recommends sleeping in a recliner for the first week or two.   So I think between the recliner and your bed with some massive pillow configuration, you should be all set.

I will tell you that I am renting a lift chair, as I heard that makes getting up and down much easier after a TT.  I also got a raised toilet seat.  I am hoping these two things will help me to be more comfortable and independent early on so that my husband can focus on helping with the kids rather than worrying too much about me.

By they way - we have the same TT date. :) 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

firefly2000
on 3/8/13 10:27 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12

Karen,

I had my TT Feb 28th and let me tell you girl....I am so thankful for my electric recliner!! I rented it for a month and it has helped me get up and down, and it reclines to a position that makes it comfortable to sleep (which is pure heaven!) I will add that your tailbone and lower back will be sore as hell since you really can only sit/sleep on your back, so my mom went out and bought me a donut pillow to sit on. I highly recommend that you purchase one whether you sleep in your own bed, rent a hospital bed, or recliner It will make your healing process much more comfortable! 

Best of luck to you!

Lesley

melizabeth
on 3/11/13 11:31 am - CA
Lesley, where can I purchase a donut pillow? Day 4 and my tailbone is killing me.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

firefly2000
on 3/11/13 11:38 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12

melizabeth,

OMG! I am so thankful for my donut pillow!! My mom picked one up at our local pharmacy. Also, if you have a medical supply store near you they should carry them as well. 12 days post op and I am still sitting/sleeping in my recliner and my donut pillow has become my newest best friend!!

Wishing you continued healing!

Lesley

melizabeth
on 3/12/13 2:16 am - CA
Lesley, a blow up pillow or foam or feathers? What kind of donut pillow do you have? I'm so having my husband get me one on his way home from work.

Melizabeth

firefly2000
on 3/13/13 11:17 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
Melizabeth,
I just read your post and I am not sure if your husband already purchased a donut pillow yet....mine is made out of foam. It comes with a removable cover. It is so comfortable!! I hope your tailbone gets some relief real soon!!!!

Lesley
melizabeth
on 3/11/13 11:29 am - CA
4 Days post op Expended tt...I've been sleeping on the couch because my bed is too high. I have been using a walker (old knee injury) that I don't know how I'd do without it. Today is the first day that I could get up onwn. I have been plagued with nausea the entire time. Got an rx for Zofran and it's helping. Feeling better each day.

Melizabeth

Most Active