In just two months,

Cinn
on 4/8/13 4:29 am - MI

I will no longer have to get out of the shower and stand in front of a fan while lifting up my huge belly to dry it off, only to turn around and lift up my big behind to dry IT off! I can't wait for the day I can dry off like a normal person. It's been so long, I don't even remember what that was like.

RNY: 9/3/2008     LBL: 6/5/2013

KeepOn
on 4/8/13 6:51 am

Congrats !!!!

I just had my LBL done 7 weeks ago. It is an instantaneous physical change. I'm still having trouble getting used to all the numbness that one experiences around the areas of skin removal. I was told it will take any where from 3 -9 month for the nerves to reconnect. The best way to describe the feeling is as if your whole mid section (all the way around was asleep).

I had to laugh at myself, one day I was wearing really loose gym pants that tie at the waist, they started to fall down and I didn't notice : ) When you try on jeans etc... you will be very much aware of the fabric touching your skin. Where as before the surgery, you wouldn't even notice. Really weird feeling.

A few items that I would recommend getting: a shower chair, baby wipes, pillows, shoe lace for creating a necklace to attach the drain tube to when showering, liquid soap for showering, colace (over the counter stool softener) & Dulcalax (anti-constipation meds). The anthesia and pain drugs can screw with the digestive track and you don't want to have constipation.

Follow your doctors advice. Mine had me walking 10 minutes every 2 hrs..... it helps tremendously. Don't slack off on the pain pills... the pills enable you to do the walking. The first 3 days I needed help to sit in the lazy boy and get up from the lazy boy. After 3 days my abdominal muscles would let me roll off the bed/couch.

Anyway.... you are going to love the next chapter in the journey.  Best of Luck

Cinn
on 4/10/13 3:07 am - MI

Thanks so much for the encouragement and great ideas. I have a box of items gathered for post-surgery thanks to all the suggestions here. I can't even imagine what it's like to have clothes touch my body. It's going to be weird. My teenage DD is so anxious to go clothes shopping with me. I told her not to get too excited, I'll need time for swelling to go down.

ReadyforPlastics
on 4/10/13 7:52 am

Love it!  That is such a small thing but SUCH a big thing.

What I've noticed, and this is probably TMI (but, hey, we are all about TMI here!), I love that after I go to the bathroom I can simply wipe with one hand.  I used to have to hold up my pannus with one hand and wipe with the other!  Now it's so easy!  No lifting required.  HAHA!

Life is SO much better without that long hanging pannus!!!   I'm excited for your big day - it's coming soon! (((HUGS)))

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Cinn
on 4/12/13 4:38 am - MI

I never realized I do that until you mentioned it! Wow. Another bit of freedom. Amazing how a pile of skin can get in the way of so much life.

Laura in Texas
on 4/10/13 11:49 am

I remember how thankful I was to no longer have to lift up my belly and boobs to wash them. I cried. Still so thankful 2 years later.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active