Diet During Recovery

Lyss Remaly
on 6/23/13 6:32 am - Wheeling, IL

HI EVERYONE!!!!

HAPPY SUNDAY!!  I asked a question last week and everyone was SO awesome about answering I wanted to ask another one that I am a bit worried about.

As previously mentioned I am training for a bodybuilding competition and my diet is really important for the muscular gains I want to make.  Currently I eat 100-120 g of protein 70-110g of carbs and 15-20 g of fat during my workout days the ranges are pretty big because as many of you know sometimes it's hard to get in a lot of food during the day.  Currently I take in an average of 700-900 calories.  I am a bit nervous about what my diet should look like during the 6-8 weeks of not being able to lift in the gym and just being able to do light walking. 

What did everyone do about their diet during recovery to avoid gaining any weight?  I still have about 5lbs to lose before surgery and would like to either maintain my weight or lose a bit during surgery and recovery.

ALL personal stories are welcome and I look forward to hearing from everyone!!

~*LYSS*~

P. Poster
on 6/23/13 8:34 am

You are aware of recommended diet for post-DS, right?  What you are eating isnt nearly enough....  You need 100g of protein everyday, and more like 200g on workout days.  We only absorb about 50% of the protein we eat.  Fat doesnt matter to us, we dont absorb 80% of it.  Calories as long as they come from protein & fat dont matter to us.  You should be eating closer to 3500 calories a day, especially on workout days.  Carbs are the ONLY thing you need to moderate, and keep them complex.  Simple sugars are the only thing we absorb readily (80-100% absorbed from simple carbs, about 60-80% of complex carbs).  Youre starving your body... 

After surgery- eat whatever you can, protein first.  I couldnt eat hardly at all for the first 5 weeks.  My restriction was back, big time.  Still is.  And my stomach was sour from antibiotics and pain meds.  I am living off protein shakes- I have 4 a day.  Protein is essential to healing, so are calories.  Aim for 200g protein and about 2500 calories a day in recovery.  Im STILL losing weight after my LBL.  Ive lost over 15lbs since that surgery, and am struggling to STOP the loss again as my BMI is now considered underweight for my height and I am looking skelleton like.

PS- I had my DS over 3 years ago.  Im very active- do marathons, triathlons, trail running, and work hard to build and maintain muscle mass.  It is difficult to do post DS because of the degree of our malabsorbtion.  I lost below goal in 11 months post DS, and maintained that weight and built muscle over the last 2+ years.  Its only been since the LBL that Im in this rapid unwanted weight loss.  Oh, and muscle atrophy, because I still cant work out, 9 weeks post.

MyBariatricLife
on 6/23/13 2:27 pm

I did not have DS so YMMV, but I would not think that 700-900 cals a day will make you gain weight in the recovery period. As for me, I upped my protein by adding protein powder to my morning coffee and to drinkable organic yogurt from grass-fed cows from my local dairy (high in protein and nutrients). I actually had very little appetite post op because my restriction was greater after the surgeon tightened my muscles. I am 2-mos post op and still am not eating what I was pre op. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the problem that I run into is that I am eating very little and not losing weight. My body must be going into starve mode. I need to make sure I up my protein again. 

You are so fit and athletic that I will bet you are back at the gym before 8-weeks. Your body should heal much quicker than the average person.

How in the world is it that you eat 120g of protein and only 20g of fat? I can NEVER make that work. My fat is always much higher than my nutritionist wanted. But when I up the protein the fat goes up, too. Please share a typical day's meals with me. Maybe I can see what I am doing wrong and loose more weight. My BMI still puts me at overweight.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 6/23/13 11:30 pm

I took a look at your blog last night - thanks so much for the link!!! I just wanted to say tht your transformation is amazing!!! I am so happy for you taking control of your health and your life... To go from obesity to body building, wow! And at such a young age to get it together is fantastic. Good for you for pushing it to the limit and getting plastics. I waited so long to get my RNY and even longer to get my TT. You are an inspiration and your model is encouraging me to follow through with the rest of my plastics even though I am scared. Thanks so much and keep up the awesome work!!!

are you following the crossfit and pales communities? The is some good info on twitter: 

#JERF

#PALEO

#Primal

#WAPF

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 6/23/13 11:30 pm

#crossfit

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Crazeru
on 6/24/13 5:29 am

As a DSer you definitely aren't eating enough.  Unless you are already discounting for malaborption. 

I bumped up my protein to 175-200 grams daily for a month before PS and for 3-4 months after.  You need the protein.  You may have use protein shakes.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active