Am I being dramatic?!

Lyss Remaly
on 7/1/13 11:25 pm - Wheeling, IL

I think I might be making myself crazy! 

I am 38 days away from plastic surgery (LBL, Back tuck, boob implants).  I have been holding steady at 155lbs for a few weeks and my goal is to get to 150 on the day of surgery.  I NEED to make sure that they are getting EVERY INCH of excess skin and goo that they can.  I've been stressing out HARDCORE, killing myself at the gym and with my diet. 

Am I making myself crazy for nothing?  Will those 5 lbs REALLY make all that much of a difference? 

P.S. please feel free to virtually slap me back into reality if I need it :)  THANK YOU!

P. Poster
on 7/2/13 1:50 am

As another DSer, I was advised NOT to diet prior to plastics.  With our degree of malabsorption, its most important for us to be well managed with our vitamin stores and bulk up our protein intake prior to surgery.  Losing weight should NOT be the focus.  I had a VERY rough recovery (still trying to recover at about 9 weeks out) with a lot of complications, and I did absolutely everything in my power to make sure ALL my vitamin levels were nice and high and I had boosted my protein to over 200g per day for a month prior to surgery and made sure I stayed well hydrated.  I also started taking Arnica and additional vitamin C. 

I will also say, make sure you have realistic expectations.  Not sure how "normal" my result is, but i still look like I need an extended tummy tuck.  I have been weight stable for over 2 years, and there is at least another 6-8" of loose skin that could have come off my tummy.  I have to believe there was a reason it was left like that...  But I wont know for certain until i am healed and begin to seek second opinions.  I say that in hopes that you will 1. speak to your surgeon about your expectations and make sure they line up with what can truly be (I did this, but I believe I was misinformed or have a very poor result) and 2. that your results are what you are hoping them to be. 

MyBariatricLife
on 7/2/13 2:55 am

I agree with what P Poster states about the protein and vitamin stores. Make yourself strong for surgery, not depleted. You run the risk of doing more harm than good. Anyway, you will lose at least those 5lbs when they remove the skin, and probably more afterwards. I am 2.5-mos out from TT and my appetite has not returned (THANK YOU). I have lost 15lbs, of which six pounds was from the skin/fat removal.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

RobynJC
on 7/2/13 4:52 am

I actually did the same thing that you are doing. I had a number in mind and by God, I wanted to see that number before my PS. (LBL and inner thigh lipo).  But I also knew I needed to get my vitamins in and protein.  So I basically went the protein/veg/fruit route and lost 9lbs before my surgery.  But I was getting in at least 120 g of protein every day (2x my normal target as per my Nutritionist) and also made sure to be especially diligent to get in my supplements.  I added Zinc, Lysine, an extra Biotin and extra Vit C.   

For me it was a mental health thing to see the number I so desperately wanted to see.  Hitting that goal felt amazing and I did it in a healthy way but with a focus I never really felt before.   My appetite now is diminished also (small favors!) and I lost 13lbs of fat/skin from the surgery, so I am at an all time low even with the swelling.  

So, I don't think you are being overly dramatic.  If this is something you need to do, then do it, but do it in a way that is healthy and works toward your bigger goal, which is to have a good recovery from your PS.  Protein, protein, protein, antioxidants, antioxidants, antioxidants and staying hydrated.  

My recovery (knock wood) has been very good.  I had minimal pain and besides a particularly painful episode of constipation (you may want to add fiber to your post surgery diet), no complications yet.  I have the expected swelling and numbness.   I'm 4 weeks out now.  

Good luck to you

wls2011
on 7/2/13 8:04 am - Ballston Lake, NY

Most surgeons prefer the weight to be stable and not lose/gain right before surgery. Honestly, I do not think 5 lbs is going to make a big difference in your outcome either way. 

Plus like other posters said, be sure to eat healthy, and not go into surgery run down,

I did continue my workouts right up to surgery, I wanted to have as much muscle mass, since now it is wasting away due to being a lazy lump.

I am having complications, so no workouts for me still. 

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Lyss Remaly
on 7/2/13 10:39 pm - Wheeling, IL

Thank you all SO much for your responses!!!  These make me feel better.  I DO need to increase my protein!!!  I realized yesterday that I'm only getting in about 120 grams a day  (not good for someone who is weight training hardcore every day).  I need to re-prioritize and just focus on getting my innards healthy.

Most Active