Pre-Plastics Panics

Lyss Remaly
on 7/23/13 2:46 am - Wheeling, IL

I'm hoping others have gone through this!

I am going in in 17 days and have my pre-op with my surgeon tomorrow.  (I will be having a lower body lift / extended tummy tuck and back tuck with boob lift and fat re-assignment)

I JUST started getting really scared last night about surgery. 

Did I choose the right surgeon?

Is my body REALLY that bad that I have to have a huge surgery like this?

What if something goes horribly wrong?

Have I been doing enough to get my body ready for a surgery like this?

Am I too young to do something like this to my body?

Questions questions running through my head.  How did you guys who have had plastics get through these few weeks leading up to it?  Was there anything that really put your mind at ease?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES!  Everyone has been SO wonderful with all replies to my questions and I really appreciate it more than you know!

K. L
on 7/23/13 4:19 am
RNY on 08/20/12

I had these same fears. For me it was also the money. None of my LBL was covered under insurance and I continually asked myself if it was SO BAD that I needed to spend this much money...In the end, I can't even express to you how grateful I am that I did this. I am also young (25) and I feel that after working hard to loose the weight and spending hours in the gym and more hours perfecting my eating habits, that I deserve it. I have gained self confidence, and finally feel like I have my life back. Surgery isn't the right answer for everyone, but I think it probably is the right answer for you if you've gotten this close, and these are just normal pre-surgery jitters.

Make sure you write down any questions or concerns you have to ask your surgeon about tomorrow. I kept an ongoing list in my phone. That may help alleviate any specific fears. I spent a lot of time in the gym leading up to surgery so I could be in the best shape possible and keep my mind off of it also.

I also put a lot of time into researching and shopping for things I'd need post surgery- extra supplements that aid healing (arnica montana, bromaline, protein powder). This helped me feel like I was doing everything I could to aid my heeling.

Take a deep breath and go over the reasons you chose your surgeon- I would imagine you probably had very good reasons for choosing him or her in the first place. I could be wrong, if you did no research and just picked a joe schmo off a billboard than maybe you didn't choose the right surgeon- but I bet that isn't the case LoL

Crazeru
on 7/23/13 5:20 am

Make sure you are getting 175-200g of protein in.  Stop Vit E 15 days before surgery. And breathe.  You researched your PS, you trust them.  Everyone has scars, some show some don't.  You'll love your new look.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

ChaChaCha
on 7/24/13 12:12 pm - Cleveland, OH
175-200g of protein a day? Where did you come up with that number?
          "We live in a society where it's more socially acceptable to be a junkie than it is to be overweight."     --CC Deville, guitarist for Poison    
Laura in Texas
on 7/25/13 2:52 am

You need about double the usual amount of protein for healing. The OP is a DSer who already need more protein than us non-DSers.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

kch_8888
on 7/23/13 10:29 pm
You can do it! I was in your place just a couple weeks ago and I think I posted something very similar! I was never so scared and I've had surgery before without so much fear. I made it through and so will you. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought. Pain was well controlled right from the get go. 1st week is the toughest and will fly by! And when I say tough it was just stuff like I hadnsome nausea and dizziness and I'm not good when I have to rest and be kept down....not my personality! I'm used to being in charge of then house and our kids so it was an uncomfartablenplace for me! But other than that...so doable! We will be thinking of you!
exohexoh
on 7/24/13 1:30 am - West Chester, PA

it's totally normal. i was ready to walk out of the hospital the morning of surgery! it was the same way with my rny too. once my parents paid i knew that i had to go through with it though. i couldn't do that to them, so i just sucked it up.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Kim S.
on 7/25/13 1:39 am - Helena, AL

We ALL felt some anxiety.  I felt guilty for spending the money (from savings) and for risking my life for what was essentially my vanity.  I reminded myself that I'm healthy, and the surgical team does this every single day. I am also a Christian and found comfort in praying. 

It really is one of the best things I did for myself.  I was very comfortable and confident before plastics and had no body issues.  However, after plastics, I don't see the remnants of my formerly obese life.  I feel less like the obese woman is on my heels in the rearview mirror....I feel "normal". 

Lyss Remaly
on 7/27/13 11:24 pm - Wheeling, IL

Thank you all SO much for your replies!!  This Forum has provided SO much comfort and support during this process!  That's exactly what I want is just to feel normal.  I will keep everyone updated :)

Most Active